starting strength gym

Thread: Negative weight in app (assisted pullups)

Default Negative weight in app (assisted pullups)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys,

I'm 195lbs and working through my novice LP. My weight and upper body strength are not at the point where I can do consistent bodyweight chinups. Is it possible to allow a negative weight for chinups so I can track my progress on assisted chins through the app? Basically it would be Bodyweight + (- assist wieght) = total tracked weight for exercise.

Thanks you!

shabu is offline Starting Strength App Developer

Are assisted chins recommended in the book?

[QUOTE=thebrosinski;1541971]Hey guys,

I'm 195lbs and working through my novice LP. My weight and upper body strength are not at the point where I can do consistent bodyweight chinups. Is it possible to allow a negative weight for chinups so I can track my progress on assisted chins through the app? Basically it would be Bodyweight + (

I've been making notes on my chins in the notes section. It works for me because I like to check my notes from the previous day anyway and see how I was feeling and performing.

Quote Originally Posted by shabu View Post
    Are assisted chins recommended in the book?
    Resistance bands and jumping chinups are recommended for novices with a heavier bodyweight. I dont know the page because I have the kindle version but its between figure 7-38 and 7-39.

Right before the dips section it also says "several sets across are appropriate for chins and pull ups either weighted, unweighted, or assisted."

I just want to track progress until I'm closer to being able to do them correctly

Quote Originally Posted by thebrosinski View Post
    Resistance bands and jumping chinups are recommended for novices with a heavier bodyweight. I dont know the page because I have the kindle version but its between figure 7-38 and 7-39.

Right before the dips section it also says "several sets across are appropriate for chins and pull ups either weighted, unweighted, or assisted."

I just want to track progress until I'm closer to being able to do them correctly
    i think for now just use the notes section to keep track of it...its hard to estimate negative weight on chins -- how high are you jumping? how much weight does a band add? Its hard to estimate it. But I think the app does need more explanation as to what to do if you can't do a single chinup so I'll add that to the to-do list.

I'm not sure if they are in the book, but my SSC has me do band assisted chin ups.

Actually, at one time you could put negative weight in the chinup box... could have just been a glitch though.

Quote Originally Posted by raivyne View Post
    I'm not sure if they are in the book, but my SSC has me do band assisted chin ups.

Actually, at one time you could put negative weight in the chinup box... could have just been a glitch though.
    probably was a glitch, definitely not possible in the update anyway. just use notes to track negatives until you can start doing unassisted.

Default Another vote for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by thebrosinski View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm 195lbs and working through my novice LP. My weight and upper body strength are not at the point where I can do consistent bodyweight chinups. Is it possible to allow a negative weight for chinups so I can track my progress on assisted chins through the app? Basically it would be Bodyweight + (- assist wieght) = total tracked weight for exercise.

Thanks you!
    Having the ability to put a negative number in here would be very useful to me. I'd love to see have it while my chin-ups catch up with my squats. Please take another look into this one. Thanks!

Add my vote for someone who would really want to see the ability to put negative weights in there. Maybe just use the "numbersAndPunctuation" UIKeyboardType (for iOS), and validate that there are only digits, a negative sign, commas and decimals in the input field? I assume that the rest of the app can handle the math with negatives.

starting strength coach development program
    thanks for the feedback guys, its on my todo list but not sure when it will make its way into the app