starting strength gym

Thread: 2 days a week - Advanced

Default 2 days a week - Advanced

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm calling for myself as advanced - training for 7-8 years and I'm 188 cm 110 kg atm. Bf is 20 around.

Texas method is one of the best routine that I've ever done - was on it for almost a year.

But I'm very busy nowadays and I can go to gym 2 days per week. Mon-Thurs.

Tried Russian Bear but it seems it's much more for novices. I didn't see any strenght and muscle gain on this one.

So my main goal is, getting bigger and bigger and strenght. Thought heavy strict press some dips and tri work on Mon and heavy deadlift chins and tri work again (for huge arms and press) But I'm not sure it's good idea or not.

Any better idea for me?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Khephnes View Post
    I'm calling for myself as advanced - training for 7-8 years and I'm 188 cm 110 kg atm. Bf is 20 around.

Texas method is one of the best routine that I've ever done - was on it for almost a year.

But I'm very busy nowadays and I can go to gym 2 days per week. Mon-Thurs.

Tried Russian Bear but it seems it's much more for novices. I didn't see any strenght and muscle gain on this one.

So my main goal is, getting bigger and bigger and strenght. Thought heavy strict press some dips and tri work on Mon and heavy deadlift chins and tri work again (for huge arms and press) But I'm not sure it's good idea or not.

Any better idea for me?

Thanks!
    Uh... No squats or bench? No actual program written out for critique?

Well, added Squats, and here's my routine. Please let me know what you think.

Mon

Squat, 3x5 (%90 of 5RM)
    Strict press, 5x5 (%90 of 5RM)
    Dips, 3xmax
    Some tri work (for better strict press and bigger arms, thought no need of bicep work cause it does not help my any exercise)

Thurs

Squat, 3x5 (%80 of Mon - kinda TM style)
    Deadlift, 3x5 (%90 of 5RM)
    Chins, 3xmax
    Some tri work

Will increase weight every week.
    Last edited by Khephnes; 05-28-2017 at 02:26 AM.

You're an advanced lifter and you're going to do 5s at 90% of 1RM?

I don't think that will work..

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    You're an advanced lifter and you're going to do 5s at 90% of 1RM?

I don't think that will work..
    If I remember right, OP has said in other threads that he's on gear, so maybe 5s at 90% is recoverable?

Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    If I remember right, OP has said in other threads that he's on gear, so maybe 5s at 90% is recoverable?
    He won't get 5 reps at 90% of 1RM - that's a 3-4RM for most people. He'd be very unusual if he could do 5x5 at that intensity, especially as an advanced lifter, unless he's very small and very female.

Man that's my bad, but you should understand what I meant lol. It's 5RM for sure not 1RM. %90 of 5RM. Also I'm on gear, right.

For the goals of max. hypertrophy and strength, this program would be not enough frequency and volume and movements for an advanced natural trainee.

And I would take this exact same recommendations to improve your program knowing that you are on gear - because certainly you always have the "but it works for me"-card available while on gear. But why settle for something less than optimal, only because "it works"?

The biggest step forward would be a third training session. It doesnt have to be a gym session, - if you simply get have some heavy adjustable dumbbells, a chin bar and some bands, you can have a very profitable session almost anywhere that allows you to up your volume, frequency and no. of targeted muscles while keeping the Mon-Thur sessions´ volume at bay.

Some possible exercises for that session with that equpipment are: chins, dumbbell ("elbows out") rows, lateral raises, bent-over lateral raises, band-pushups, dips, face pulls, tri extensions, ab work.

With that, you can train all upper body movements/muscles twice a week while using your gym time for the exercises you only can do there: Add some leg curls or a second DL variation on Mon. Up your volume in squats in one session - may be additional higher rep squats, front squats, (unilateral) leg press, a unilateral squat variation.

My advice is the same as last time. If you're just having fun lifting, that's cool. But if you want to make good progress, stop program hopping to the lastest thing that catches your eye.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Khephnes View Post
    Man that's my bad, but you should understand what I meant lol. It's 5RM for sure not 1RM. %90 of 5RM. Also I'm on gear, right.
    Ok, that makes more sense!

The immediate change I'd make - assuming 2 days a week is a hard limit on frequency - is to move away from just doing 5s. Say, cycle Monday's squats through 6s / 4s / 2s, hitting a heavyish single as an over warm-up each week to monitor progress and get the right weight on the bar.

Pressing once a week is probably not enough frequency, even on gear

If bodybuilding is a priority then your programme looks light on bodybuilding work