starting strength gym

Thread: Question about mixed grip deadlifts

Default Question about mixed grip deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I normally hook but have repeatedly torn a callus in the 2 or so months since increasing my deadlift volume (8x2-3 instead of 1x5)

The mixed grip solves this but I find on the arm I supinate, my elbow now comes in which somewhat gets in the way of my knees out (when hands are pronated my knee fits nicely into the crook of my elbow in the start position - with my hand turned the other way my elbow now is rotated and is a lot closer to my knees). Does anyone have this issue?

My grip is about 1 inch into the knurling from the centre and I'd rather not widen as to increase the range of motion

Start using straps for most of your volume work.

Ah I hadn't thought of straps. Thanks very much

I'll do the first 3 sets with hook and strap for the remaining 5

I used to tear frequently when I was doing a lot more volume than what you're talking about above. It wasn't good programming, but I did learn to take care of my hands.

I haven't torn a callus at all in months now by changing two things.

1. Grab the bar at the bottom of the fingers first, not in the middle of the palm. Notice that the skin of your palm doesn't pinch against your fingers much at all when you do this right.

2. File your calluses flat. Some Olympic weightlifters use razor blades; you can buy callus removers (plastic apparatus holding a small razor blade) at any pharmacy; pumice stones work somewhat as a finishing tool. My new favorite is this cheese grater looking pedicure tool.

That and ease into hooking so much DL. I used to have to tape thumbs and pinkie pad every time I hooked heavy DL, but after taking more care and easing into it, I rarely tape any more.
    Moisturizing lotions can also help. Seriously, you will be surprised how much heavy work you can put your hands through when you keep them a little prettier!

I'd say straps are for pansies, but Clarence Kennedy snatching >400# with straps is too strong a counterexample.

^yeah that's good advice about hand care. Look up "Donny Shankle hand care" on YouTube.

Also, lol at straps being for pansies. Shoes, shirts, belts and barbells are for pansies too then.

Manveer is one of the last people on earth I'd call a pansy.

strap r 4 phaggs

starting strength coach development program
    I was reading Manveer's intermediate log for some tips and saw that:
    1. He's stuck to multiple programs long enough for them to work to full potential and
    2. He drinks Buffalo Trace bourbon

So another strong counterexample for sure.