starting strength gym

Thread: squat video and press question

Default squat video and press question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here's the squats. Have I done away with that knee slide yet?

190 - YouTube

Another Question: I convincingly appear to have stalled on my press at 125. I got 3x5 one day, and then ran into an absolute buzzsaw at 127.5, didn't even bother attempting the fourth rep of the first set. No progress since then. I know I'm going to hear sleep/protein, but I'm the type of trainee who lies to his doctor to get prescription sleeping pills and weighs his protein powder on a food scale because "1 scoop = 24 grams" just seems a little too good to be true.

I know you guys hear this all the time, but I'm really, really damn sure that i got my nine hours every night and my 200 grams every day.

Now here's the kicker: my SVJ was once measured at 17.5 inches, about a full standard deviation below average. Is it possible that I'm just not very gifted, and it will be time to do a ten percent reset on the press at a paltry 125?

My friends are all more athletic than me, and they got to one plate on the press with LP no reset. Actually, I think most of them got to one plate pressing strict like stronglifts and bill starr recommend, as opposed to the highly technical rippetoe press, which of all barbell movements humankind have invented, has a learning curve rivaled in steepness perhaps only by the snatch.

What do yall think?

one more nagging question: i know the answer is in the book, i bought it, read it, and sold it prematurely. Where does the squat reset coincide with transitioning to the advance novice program on ss? Should you be doing a light day on wednesday before the first reset, or after?

Yes it's certainly possible that you could need a press reset at that weight. You answered 2 of "the first three questions" already, so just make sure you're resting enough between sets. I'd try 127.5 again the next time you press though, it'll help rule out a "bad" workout.

I've done the press workout three times with exactly 3x3x3 each time now, whithout even the ghost of a whisper of a phantom of a prayer of getting the fourth rep past my forehead.

i guess I really am just that much of a "slow twitch" guy

damn these genes

Then reset, take even smaller jumps if you can, 1-2 lbs.

Post a video too, good to get eyes on a stuck lift.

If it's any consultation, I'm right with you in the low SVJ (16") and crappy press camp (moved to intermediate at 130 lbs., with coaching and food/sleep in order).

For your squat...

Your stance might be a touch wide, bring it in about 1/2" each side. These look like the might be high but I'm not sure, if they are stance may fix it.

dang....

where was your squat when you moved to intermediate?

do i take the smaller increments on the way up as well, or just wen i reach my old 5rm?

295 (Squat) was the last weight I attempted on NLP before my coach had me move on. It's important to remember though that you're not me and I am not anyone else. Basically dont construct an artificial barrier for yourself based on where others had to transition to intermediate.

I would reset to 120 and work up in 2 lb. increments. Basically this will set you up to PR with 126x5x3, a little easier than your current sticking point and then you can move past it with 128.

I have 4 .5 lb plates and two 1.25 lb plates, so i have the capability to increase in increments as small as 1 lb every workout. why should I only reset to 120 vs. ten percent?

yeah I'll make sure I get everything I can out of my lp. playing sports in high school has made me pretty humble about my generalized athleticism, so I've always been worried I'll wind up one of those people whos convinced they need to start doing intermediate programs after squatting 275x3. but being less talented just makes it more important that i really milk that lp

starting strength coach development program
    A 10% reset would put you roughly at 115, so it would take about 4.5 weeks to get back to 127. I'd like to see you PR at the end of the 3rd week (or the 5th press workout). Resetting to 117 or 118 would just about split the difference. We don't want to rush or be greedy, but we don't want to waste time either.
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 06-07-2017 at 12:21 PM.