starting strength gym

Thread: RPE (Jordan) program progression questions...

Default RPE (Jordan) program progression questions...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've recently switched to Jordan's program: General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine and I'm really struggling with progression.

The main lift on each day is x1 @8 followed by x5 @8 for 3-5 sets. My question specifically is:

1. I've calculated my @8 based on what I've done for a triple in the past. I'm not sure if it's the most I could have gotten, but it's something I actually did (but it was at least 4 months ago). At what point do I increase that? If I've been doing 425x1 @8, how do I know if going to 430 would still be an @8? Maybe it's @ 8.5 or even 9?? May I'm currently @7 and I think it's @8??? How do you guys figure these things out without testing?

2. Which do I prioritize increasing? The x1 or the x5 for 3-5 sets? By how much?

3. I can obviously lift heavier for 3-sets than 5-sets and maintain the same RPE at the end. How do I prioritize weight over volume? For example, should I increase by 5-lbs and see if I can maintain the same volume or do as much as I can for the desired RPE level and add reps/sets with time? Then do the same again? Or use another method?

I have many more questions...

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I've recently switched to Jordan's program: General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine and I'm really struggling with progression.

The main lift on each day is x1 @8 followed by x5 @8 for 3-5 sets. My question specifically is:

1. I've calculated my @8 based on what I've done for a triple in the past. I'm not sure if it's the most I could have gotten, but it's something I actually did (but it was at least 4 months ago). At what point do I increase that? If I've been doing 425x1 @8, how do I know if going to 430 would still be an @8? Maybe it's @ 8.5 or even 9?? May I'm currently @7 and I think it's @8??? How do you guys figure these things out without testing?

2. Which do I prioritize increasing? The x1 or the x5 for 3-5 sets? By how much?

3. I can obviously lift heavier for 3-sets than 5-sets and maintain the same RPE at the end. How do I prioritize weight over volume? For example, should I increase by 5-lbs and see if I can maintain the same volume or do as much as I can for the desired RPE level and add reps/sets with time? Then do the same again? Or use another method?

I have many more questions...
    1. You plan to add weight to your single @8 each week. Especially when you start this program, you should be able to do that. If it's an 8.5 you'll be just fine, and next week you'll either make a smaller jump, repeat the weight, or still go up. If it's @9, you learned something that session about the difference between 8 and 9, and you'll take that info into your next session, but it's still fine.

2. You should be able to increase both. Think of gradual progress here, can you add 5#? If not, add 2.5.

3. The program gives you the room to choose, and you can even vary it by the week. It's a way of you managing your training fatigue, but you can load the bar and do 3 sets of 5, know you're pushing @9 if you do another set, and so you drop the weight a bit and do 1-2 more sets of 5 @8.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    1. You plan to add weight to your single @8 each week. Especially when you start this program, you should be able to do that. If it's an 8.5 you'll be just fine, and next week you'll either make a smaller jump, repeat the weight, or still go up. If it's @9, you learned something that session about the difference between 8 and 9, and you'll take that info into your next session, but it's still fine.

2. You should be able to increase both. Think of gradual progress here, can you add 5#? If not, add 2.5.

3. The program gives you the room to choose, and you can even vary it by the week. It's a way of you managing your training fatigue, but you can load the bar and do 3 sets of 5, know you're pushing @9 if you do another set, and so you drop the weight a bit and do 1-2 more sets of 5 @8.
    Thanks, you're the best! I'll incorporate weekly 2.5lb increases to both and see how the progression feels.