starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check/Back Advice

Default Squat Form Check/Back Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Herniated L4-L5 a little over a year ago, and it healed slowly while I kept the weights very light. Since then have stalled and deloaded a couple of times when the pain has flared back up. I had been making good progress, but the pain is back again and I am getting a twitch/tingle on the back inside of my left knee which is worrying me because of possible nerve impingement from the herniation. What do you suggest? My goal is to perfect my technique so that I can steadily increase the weight without any back problems. My back didn't feel great after these sets, but I find that it will usually feel worse the day after. First set was shot at front 45, second set is side eye level, third set is side hip level. Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Edit: Was also told I have minor scoliosis to one side and a sacralized L5S1. I am not aware of these having any real effects on squatting or lifting but if I am wrong I'd like to know. Your thoughts on this would be appreciated too, thanks.

May want to turn the volume down.

195 3x5

Last edited by a10t2; 06-10-2017 at 01:21 AM.

You are breaking hips first, kicking your ass back, before your knees. Your knees are caving on the ascent. These angles are terrible for assessing your stance width. Too wide a stance might be a culprit.

Watch the bar's position relative to the upright on your rack during the initial ascent. It shifts forward about 2-3 inches.

This could be a combination of breaking at the hips and your knees collapsing. Breaking the hips early and the shift forward on the ascent create unnecessary moment arms that your back has to support and might be causing the aggravation of your back pain.

Take a look at this article -

Active Hip 2.0: The Directors? Cut | Mark Rippetoe and stef bradford

And reread the squat section in the book.
    Last edited by Wes_J; 06-10-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I will lower the weights and focus on breaking evenly with knees held outward. Are my elbows too far back, possibly contributing to me falling forward?

Quote Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
    Are my elbows too far back, possibly contributing to me falling forward?

No, in my vastly inexperienced opinion I don't see that happening here. The form checks that I've seen where the elbows are high and the weight shifts forward also don't hold the back tight. The elbows change angle too, at the bottom they drop and at the top the raise back up as the thoracic remains in flexion.

You seem to be keeping your back tight, but these vids aren't at the best angle to really see that.

Just try to work on one or two obvious things first. The bar shift is a symptom, and we can definitely see that your knees are caving and you hips break first.

There was an interesting discussion that was posted on the SSOC blog about squat cadence.

https://startingstrengthonlinecoachi...-ssoc-coaches/

Hopefully you'll post another form check.....45 degree from the rear. You're really actually helping me with my squat here too.