starting strength gym

Thread: thoughts opinions suggestions, almost done with lp

Default thoughts opinions suggestions, almost done with lp

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I don't really know where to post this, hopefully this is the correct place.

BW -173.6
    BF%-around 18-20%
    Height- 5'6/5'7ish
    Age -24yo male
    All rep schemes are based on SSLP 1st number is current working set and the 2nd number is from week one of SSL

Squat 275lbs---160lbs
    (can squat 315 1R, goal I've always want to get so I had to give it a try)
    Bench 175lbs---125lbs
    Deadlift 300lbs----185lbs
    OHP 105lbs---75
    (I know poverty press but I started to heavy with some form issues so I'm playing catch up)

So to start this off the bumps in the road started about 4 weeks ago. Stalled my bench at 180lbs and my squat at 280lbs on the same day. At the time I was eating 4700-5300 calories a day. I shoot the higher but I've been working and traveling(gym hoping too) a lot since this semester ended so the bit of inconsistency has taken a bit of a toll I think. Coincidentally these stalls happened on my week 8 of SSLP. After re reading the TBAB article I would guess that it could be time to start slowly gaining around 1lb a week instead of 2.3lbs a week like I have for the past 8 weeks. Also thinking it may be time for that light squat day and some micro loading/ and some of the stuff in Jordans new podcast if I want to keep milking this LP. So all that to say I guess I'm asking if this seems like a good idea, or am I fooling myself and should I just eat my way through this for gainz?
    I mean none of my pants fit now, literally got rid of all of them. But I want that 300+ squat for reps at the end of this lp.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Side note: When I say stall I mean I legitimately tried 3 separate sessions and failed, the second and third sessions were after a week off for an ankle injury I got outside the gym but I still could only move 180 and 280 the same amount as the previous attempt.

I think you are on the right track with your plan.

Gain 1lb/week, add the light squat day, and micro-load your bp/ohp.

Fantastic, thanks for your input.

Hey one more question for you, if the micro loading ends up tanking as well would 5 sets 3 reps suffice since it's the same volume? I haven't really found anything on here yet saying not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by williy_cole View Post
    Hey one more question for you, if the micro loading ends up tanking as well would 5 sets 3 reps suffice since it's the same volume? I haven't really found anything on here yet saying not to do that.
    Once microloading tanks and/or 2 heavy squat days become too much to recover and adapt from, I'd look into fully migrating to intermediate programming. Probably something HLM-based. You can transition lifts separately too - for instance, move to HLM for pressing motions because they are stalled, while keeping HLH for squats or whatnot.

Cool thanks man.

I should mention Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior is an awesome HLM program. I broke 2 of my ribs half way through my first cycle, and I still PR'd every lift at the end.

I'll check it out. There are a couple programs/ methods I'm wanting to play around with after I finish this lp. DUP being one of them. I read this book called high frequency powerlifting that had some cool stuff in it as well I want to try.

starting strength coach development program
    I think Garage gym Warrior is a really great program that is all