starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Help - Back Rounding

Default Deadlift Help - Back Rounding

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone,

About me: 25 years old, 6'1", 205-210 lbs range. I've been lifting with strength as a focus for about a year now (fucked around before then) and have been running the Texas Method for about 2.5 months.

My problem: My back rounds in the deadlift, especially when pulling conventional. I switched to pulling primarily sumo because the rounding when pulling conventional was so bad, even at weights well below my squat (and I feel like my squat form is pretty decent). The videos below from my most recent training session highlight this:

Deadlift - 275x3:

Squat - 325x5:

Here are some sumo deadlifts from a recent training session. I do two triples instead of one set of 5. This is a 20 pound deload because the rounding was so bad, and while it looks a little better, it didn't help a whole lot.

Sumo Deadlift - 345x3:

I just started filming myself recently, so I don't have a lot to go off of, but my first impression is that my hips are shooting up (especially conventional). I haven't been able to fix this, though, and I know that there are probably more issues than that. Hopefully one of you can help!

Quote Originally Posted by NEB92 View Post
    Hey everyone,

About me: 25 years old, 6'1", 205-210 lbs range. I've been lifting with strength as a focus for about a year now (fucked around before then) and have been running the Texas Method for about 2.5 months.

My problem: My back rounds in the deadlift, especially when pulling conventional. I switched to pulling primarily sumo because the rounding when pulling conventional was so bad, even at weights well below my squat (and I feel like my squat form is pretty decent). The videos below from my most recent training session highlight this:

Deadlift - 275x3:

Squat - 325x5:

Here are some sumo deadlifts from a recent training session. I do two triples instead of one set of 5. This is a 20 pound deload because the rounding was so bad, and while it looks a little better, it didn't help a whole lot.

Sumo Deadlift - 345x3:

I just started filming myself recently, so I don't have a lot to go off of, but my first impression is that my hips are shooting up (especially conventional). I haven't been able to fix this, though, and I know that there are probably more issues than that. Hopefully one of you can help!
    I'm not a coach and only watched the first video - but in your conventional you're looking up and your neck isn't in a neutral position. That is probably making it harder for you and causing your spine to lose stability a bit. It doesn't look like it's rounding terribly - id be curious to see the difference if you kept your neck neutral and maybe sat the hips down a bit more.

DL: Your back is not really rounding that much. Just squeeze your chest up hard (rotate your chest up through your shoulders and try to point your nipples to the wall in front of you). It will help if do not drop your hips in the set up; keep your hips up, take 1/2 a sec to squeeze up tight, then push the floor away. You are rushing the latter parts of the set up and that is what is affecting your back position.

Sq: You are pushing your knees too far forward at the bottom, and you are failing to use hip drive out of the bottom. So, set your knees over your toes by 1/2 way down, then finish the descent by shoving your hips back. Then drive your hips straight up to the ceiling, as if someone was pulling them straight up with chain. You also need to lean your torso over (make it more horizontal), beginning immediately upon starting your descent; this will help put you in the proper position to utilize hip drive. You back position should be established at about the same time as when you sent your knees. Keep your chin tucked (you should be staring at a spot on the floor about 5 feet in front of you); if you are mesmerized by the mirror, put the J hooks on the other side of the rack. Finally, hard to tell precisely from this video, but it looks like you are carrying the bar too low on your back, which will affect the balance of the entire system.

You are looking up way too much but do not lower your hips. Actually, your technique in the conventional lift looks much better than your "squat" style sumo lift. Dump the sumo. Also, get some lifting shoes. Do you have the books?

Just squeeze your chest up hard (rotate your chest up through your shoulders and try to point your nipples to the wall in front of you). It will help if do not drop your hips in the set up
    This is the step in the 5 step set up I've always had trouble with. I have a hard time keeping my chest up without also a). looking up as well, and b). sitting my hips down. Could this be a mobility issue or just some sort of mental block?

Sq: You are pushing your knees too far forward at the bottom, and you are failing to use hip drive out of the bottom. So, set your knees over your toes by 1/2 way down, then finish the descent by shoving your hips back. Then drive your hips straight up to the ceiling, as if someone was pulling them straight up with chain. You also need to lean your torso over (make it more horizontal), beginning immediately upon starting your descent; this will help put you in the proper position to utilize hip drive. You back position should be established at about the same time as when you sent your knees. Keep your chin tucked (you should be staring at a spot on the floor about 5 feet in front of you); if you are mesmerized by the mirror, put the J hooks on the other side of the rack. Finally, hard to tell precisely from this video, but it looks like you are carrying the bar too low on your back, which will affect the balance of the entire system.
    Wasn't looking for a squat critique, but glad I got one. I learned to squat high bar while looking slightly up in high school basketball, so the way I squat in the video has always felt like the correct back angle, eye position, and hip drive. Thanks for pointing that out for me, it's really apparent now when I watch the video.

Also, get some lifting shoes. Do you have the books?
    I'll definitely give conventional another try.

Yes, I read Starting Strength when I started the LP program. I have lifting shoes with a 3/4" heel that I use for squats, but prefer a flat sole for deadlifts.
    Last edited by NEB92; 06-16-2017 at 03:27 PM.

I'll definitely give conventional another try.

Yes, I read Starting Strength when I started the LP program. I have lifting shoes with a 3/4" heel that I use for squats, but prefer a flat sole for deadlifts.
    Smart

Not a coach, but I struggled with my deadlifts long enough to notice some stuff...

1) Stop rushing your setup. It's not a race.
    2) Follow the 5 steps, STIFF legs when you grab the bar, THEN bring the knees down until your shins touch.
    2.5) Stop rolling the bar around.
    3) You're dropping your hips to "set" your back. Look at how your hips shoot up when you start the pull. That's where they should be the whole time.
    4) You aren't really setting your back (I should know). You're breathing, bracing, and then just yanking the bar. Squeeze your chest up, you'll feel your arms start to stretch. You want to squeeze your chest up so high and hard you pull the "slack" out of the bar. THEN push through the floor with your feet and drag the bar up your legs.
    5) Good call on the flats... I work out in my garage so I get the luxury of going au naturel (barefoot) and it is so much nicer for DL's...

In summary, re-read the deadlift chapter, do the five steps in your set up, and stop rushing these. Your back isn't really rounding THAT much but that's probably because the weight is light for you. Once you start getting in to heavier territory it's really gonna start to suck. At least that's my experience.

EDIT: A word about your neck. I had the same issue, you're over extending your neck to help feel like your setting your back. Keep your neck neutral. This can be done by keeping your gaze at a point 12-15 feet away per the book, or with some determination (like me). The 12-15ft rule doesn't work for me (I lift my head to meet my eyes) so I set my neck position in a similar method to how I do when I squat. Imagine holding a tennis ball with your chin, it puts my gaze pretty much straight down at the floor but keeps my neck nice and neutral.
    Last edited by Dave Joksimovic; 06-19-2017 at 04:27 AM.

On your squats, again not a coach but several things worth noting:

1) Side angle sucks for squats.
    2) You need a "prouder" chest when you brace. I'm guessing your upper back either is rounding or wants to round because it isn't tight.
    3) Get your back more horizontal, commit to leaning more forward.
    4) Your knees are way forward of your toes... have you heard of our lord and savior TUBOW?

A video from the rear quarter would be more helpful to you and everyone.

starting strength coach development program
    This is the step in the 5 step set up I've always had trouble with. I have a hard time keeping my chest up without also a). looking up as well, and b). sitting my hips down. Could this be a mobility issue or just some sort of mental block?
    Mental block. If you find yourself cranking your head up/back to set your back, then tuck your chin a bit immediately before initiating the pull.