starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curls and Abs, baby! Curls and Abs!

Default Curls and Abs, baby! Curls and Abs!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Intro post that isn't worth your time to read: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ngth-44-a.html

So, let's just start with what we have. What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest.
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight: 157 lbs

Squat: 3x5 @ 132 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @135 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 225 lbs
    Last edited by fogbutter; 06-17-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Looks like a good start. Squats looked pretty good to my untrained, non coach eye, so take that with a grain of salt. I'd keep an eye on depth as the weights go up, make sure you don't start cutting any depth...looked just right at parallel to me.

I'd invest in some lifting shoes, a belt, and a good set of knee sleeves. Running shoes will get mighty squishy as you add weight to the bar. Belt will help you lift more weight and, imo, help protect and stabilize your spine. This was an important consideration for me as I started training at a similar age(43) 3 years ago. You are squatting more than me when I started!

Welcome. Eat.

Weight: 159 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 135 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @95 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 230 lbs

- worked on a more horizontal back angle and better depth w/ squats . . . 'felt' like it helped but no video

- deadlifts felt good but a little heavier than I expected. it's likely that I underestimated how much heavier these would feel at the end of session (my starting weight was based on deadlift weight from previous program, but those were at the beginning of a session). I'll continue on as planned for now.

- presses felt just right. slight struggle on the last rep of each set.

- need to get on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule before next week so it's likely I'll move this Wednesday's workout to Thursday to accomplish that.
    Last edited by fogbutter; 06-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.

Weight: 157.5 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 138 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @140 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 235 lbs

- Squats felt great (too light, even), although I have more work to do here on form. In any case, I didn't feel like I was fighting my bones for depth thanks to help from folks in the Technique forum.

- Bench felt good, but heavy

- Deadlifts felt good, but heavy. Adding cleans on Saturday (too soon?). Should get some video of these.

- Still need to adjust for a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule . . . will move Monday's workout to Tuesday to accomplish that.

Quote Originally Posted by fogbutter View Post
    Weight: 157.5 lbs
    I suggest you aim for weekly weight gain if you want your LP/strength gains to progress well. You're gonna stall fast and hard otherwise. Aiming for 1lb/week would probably be good. FWIW, I weighted 130lb in 2011, I'm 6'1", was 172lb this January, and am pushing 200lb now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Aiming for 1lb/week would probably be good.
    Thanks! I have been steadily increasing my caloric intake. I'm not yet at the 1 lb / week level (based on recent experience, 2700 - 2900 cals / day puts me in the .5 - 1 lb/week range), but the 3 data points in this log aren't terribly accurate either. My 7 day average on day 1 was closer to 155 than the weight I have listed (157), and I actually track weight and caloric intake (at the macro level) rather meticulously.

I wish I could gain weight at 2900 cals/day. I'm at 4600/day now...

Weight: 159 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 146 lbs
    Press: 3x5 @100 lbs
    Clean: 5x3 @ 95 lbs

- new shoes (wow . . . what a difference!)

- squats felt heavy but good, form felt and looked better to my untrained eye, still need to work on hip drive

- presses felt heavy but good, last rep was a bit of a struggle but not grindy

- cleans were way too light (weight based on a 'practice' session from a couple of weeks ago). could have easily added 5 more lbs . . . probably 10, No bumper plates so I'm sure I will die - best case my arms will fall out of their sockets at some point today.
    Last edited by fogbutter; 06-24-2017 at 09:31 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 158.2 lbs
    Squat: 3x5 @ 149 lbs
    Bench: 3x5 @142 lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5 @ 240 lbs

- moved yesterday's workout to today in order to get on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday schedule

- everything felt just right with a slight struggle on the last rep or 2 of each set

- got a 20 min late start because I had to wait on the gym's only squat rack, which was occupied by somebody doing something that resembled an RDL that started off the safety bars at the lowest position . . . must accelerate my garage gym plans!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast