starting strength gym

Thread: Questions for my 4-day split program

Default Questions for my 4-day split program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

The new videos are really informative and my questions arise from watching the ones on HLM vs TM and rep cycling.

I am currently running a heavy/light 4 day split program and I was wondering if it could be beneficial to do speed sets on the "light" day (I guess it's more of a medium day, really). I normally do 1x5 PR and 2x5 back off (@90% of PR) on heavy day and 3x5 with same weight as back offs on my other squat day. I would like to try and do 8x2 speed sets EMOM on my light day instead, do you think that would work? This would probably only be for squats as I'm already doing power cleans as my light pull and they are kinda speedy already. The extra conditioning is welcome.

All my top sets are 5s at the moment (been running intermediate for a few months). It's becoming harder and harder to hit PRs on my presses mostly, what is the next step? Going down to triples as top set and add an extra top set at ~90% so its 1x3 + 3x5 and then 3x5 on my light day? I can see it becoming a thing for DL also in the near future as the last rep is getting more and more grindy.

Stats (if necessary):
    Male, 35y, 192cm, 107kg
    Current 5RMs:
    Squat: 160kg
    DL: 195kg
    Press: 72kg
    Bench: 100kg
    Power clean: 85kg (3RM)

Speed Sets on Squats on that second day are fine...most likely. Yes, while not technically a light day the set up still seems to work in most cases when it is correctly applied.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply!

I just have a couple of follow up questions:
    The weight of speed sets. Should I just find a weight where I can produce sufficient bar speed as well as complete 8 sets EMOM and then work up from there? If I understand correctly it is possible to adjust the stress produced simply by increasing speed as well as weight. So if too low a weight is chosen, this will be offset by the increased speed it allows (assuming I go balls to the wall fast).

As mentioned in my OP, my 5s seem to be nearing their expiration date. Is the next step rep cycling on my heavy days, or should I go on with triples for a while before doing that?

Thanks again.

If doing speed work in conjunction with 5s, I say 60-70% of 1RM. If doing speed work as the sole volume stressor I'd go 75-85%. But I'd have done some speed work leading up to that point in the 60-70% range to get conditioned for that workload. Its tough.

My plan is to squat twice a week, 8 doubles speed sets on one day and top set of 5 with 2x5@90% back off on the other day. So, the speed work wouldn't be the sole stressor.

Now to find out what my 1RM is... waiting anxiously for your next video!

starting strength coach development program
    So probably 60-70% of 1RM for you which will be true speed work