starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical Music Meets Metal: Wade's SS Log

Default Classical Music Meets Metal: Wade's SS Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone, my name's Wade. I work as a classical musician based out of Baltimore, MD and I'm really out of shape. Sitting on your butt and practicing is great for music, but not for strength or health. I did a few different martial arts and lifted throughout highschool, but I didn't lift on a program. I've never really been "athletic", I'd say senior year in highschool (2005) was the closest I got. So, I haven't really exercised regularly or lifted much in 12 years. I think I'm long overdue for getting acquainted with the iron in the gym.

The lightest I've weighed as an adult was 150lbs, the heaviest was 248lbs, and now I fluctuate around 231-236lbs.

Unfortunately I don't think that's muscle! Here are my stats:

Male
    30 years old
    5'10" (178cm)
    235lbs (107kg)

As for resources, I have a membership at a gym within walking distance; I bought and read the Starting Strength book; I got the Starting Strength app; I joined up here and on Fitocracy; and I have MyFitnessPal and a food scale to help me track what I'm stuffing in my face.

My goal right now is to do the program.
    Last edited by SirFuguesALot; 06-20-2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: added details

My first session was this afternoon and I used the app's guidance in starting with an empty bar (except deadlift) and working my way up in 10lb jumps with good form until the speed of the bar slows. For the deadlift I was tempted to go heavier, but it was in fact the first set where the bar slowed at all so I'm starting there.

Here are my day one work set numbers, given as (weight)x(reps)x(sets):

Squat: 115x5x3
    Press: 65x5x3
    Deadlift: 155x5x1

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks, Igor!

Finally made it back to the gym - right after I made those first posts the gym closed and I just found a new one. I hope to get a second workout in today, if I can get my car back from the shop in time.

Two latest workouts had work sets at...
    Squat 115lbs
    Press 70lbs
    Dead 165lbs

then
    Squat 125lbs
    Bench 105lbs
    Dead 175lbs

Not a bad way to start. Welcome to the forum! Which instrument(s) do you play?

Thanks, peez! Glad to be here. Primarily I play piano, but also other keyboard instruments like organ and harpsichord but not as well. Do you play?

Welcome! I'm classically-piano trained as well, and play the organ and direct choirs for a living. You're off to a good start... keep the LP going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by SirFuguesALot View Post
    Thanks, peez! Glad to be here. Primarily I play piano, but also other keyboard instruments like organ and harpsichord but not as well. Do you play?
    I wish, but I could not carry a tune in a bucket. I do sponsor my kid's trumpet and saxophone lessons though - does that count?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Welcome! I'm classically-piano trained as well, and play the organ and direct choirs for a living. You're off to a good start... keep the LP going strong!
    Awesome, thanks! I'm in about the same boat playing organ and directing choirs for a church. I try to keep my paws in some teaching and performing as well, you know how it is with all these hats we wear! I had some shenanigans with work that I had to resolve that kept me away from the gym, but I'm back at it now and ready to rock.

@peez That definitely counts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast