starting strength gym

Thread: Phil's Log

Default Phil's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, i've decided to give myself a goal of doing a 1 arm pullup by this year's arnold's fitness expo.

The last time I was at the gym feeling good I did a pullup with 90lbs hanging on me, it was easy, I did a pullup with 120 i got it.... Then I tried 135. It felt like it was pulling me apart lol, I got half way up and stopped. Right now I weigh right about 180 on a good day.

I'm going to start training hard on saturday lol.

I did train pullups today but nothing good to speak of.

Damn 135 on a pullup?!!!

Dang thats hella strong!

Today:

1 set 30 pullups

Single Band assisted one arm pullups x 3... I had it setup so it wouldn't give me much assistance I might try using a pullup machine next time so I know how much help it's giving me.

2 sets 10 band resistance pullups (guessing about 40-50lbs resistance at the bottom and 75-80 at the top)

One arm pullup attempt failed

I tried to do 2 reps of 90lbs weighted pullups... I got the first rep easy, but not the second rep

Very impressive, Phil. I just made a post in the Conditioning forum about the Armstrong Pull Up Program. I wonder if that could somehow be implemented to increase MAX instead of # of repetitions.

Maybe, I've been sick almost all week, so I haven't really done many pullups, just a few easy sets of about 30 earlier in the week.... nothing heavy

Talking Yo.

It would be awesome if you achieve it.

About 3 weeks ago I injured my elbow... not so bad, but bad enough I had to have a splint/cast on it for about 10 days.

So about 4 days ago I started doing some arm exercises a little bit, nothing crazy just some body weight stuff. 3 days ago I tried to maxout at pushups and got 83, I was kind of surprised about that coming off of the injury.

I was kind of psyched by that, as i've never been able to do 100 pushups, my personal best was 96. So yesterday I tried to maxout with pushups again, i got 91, at that point i was thinking, i've always wanted to break 100 pushups and never have...so i'll try again tomorrow try to get 92 and then at somepoint break 100.

This morning after doing 45minutes of cardio and eating I try to do a maxout set and get 83. I was thinking this blows, only 83.

This evening I tried one last time, and ended up getting 100.

About 5 years ago I tried for a while to break 100, didn't and eventually lost interest when i started focusing on other goals.... so now i'm psyched that i finally did.

A few weeks ago I realized that I wouldn't be able to do bench for a while because the range of motion caused me shoulder pain. I noticed that push-ups and weighted push-ups didn't cause me any pain. So I've set a goal for myself of 100 push-ups with a 40lb weighted vest.

Tonight I completed a set of 75 weighted push-ups. I'll post updates each time I complete more until I get to 100. Then i'll need a heavier weighted vest lol.

starting strength coach development program
    Felt blah today, got 70 pushups +40lbs today.