starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Python305 Training Log

Default Python305 Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My main goal is hypertrophy, but the best way to achieve size from what I have read is to get strong in the core lifts, hence the reason why I am here. I have SSBBT 3 and plan to read it in 3 weeks (~16 pages per day).

My smaller goals :

Drink 1 gallon of water per day
    Follow Paleo diet
    Fish and multivitamin daily
    8 hours of sleep a night
    Daily mobility work (emphasis on shoulders)
    Go for a 20 min walk every morning or evening

More goals may come to mind but I think that's a start. Here are my stats by the way, just to inform you guys on where I am coming from.

Age - 20
    Weight - 143 lbs
    Height - 5'8
    Male

I am pretty injury prone, especially to tendon issues (RC and tricep tendon specifically), so these minor injuries have really hindered me from lifting hard and making progress for the past couple years. I contribute this to poor form, not warming up properly, and not eating enough.

But after reading around on the forums, I just have to learn what injuries I have to work through, around, and sit out from.

Even though I'm not gonna be starting SS for at least 3 weeks, I'm still going to log what I accomplished and learned from the daily reading to keep me motivated.

Welcome! You have a plan. Now do it!

Slacked for a few days but I am changing my reading schedule up. I have 4 days off this week so I'm gonna expedite the process by reading one to two sections a day (depending on the length). Today I read up until the middle of the "common problems" of the Squat section (page 46).

The reading was very academic and some of it was hard to comprehend, especially the leverage and movement segment. However, I practiced the form and I am pretty confident with mine as of now.

Tommorow I'm gonna finish up the Squat and the Press readings.

Finished up the Squat and Press readings today.

Press reading went well but I was a bit confused on how to get the bar on the anterior delts. If I remember correctly, Mark says to shrug the shoulders slightly forward but I l'll fact check myself when I get home.

I watched a video of him and Brett from Art of Manliness on YouTube and it doesn't look like he had the bar on his anterior delts, more like his clavicle. It could be my shoulder flexibility but I'll re read the section and watch more videos. In the meantime, if anybody can offer some advice on nailing down this step of the press, I would appreciate it.

Deadlift chapter tommorow and first workout on Friday!

Week 1, Day 1 - 7/21/17 - Friday

Squat - 95 3x5

Press - 45 3x5

Deadlift - 95 1x5

Workout was decent. Everything is new and there is a lot to remember. The low bar squats will take some getting used to. The weights weren't extremely challenging but I wanted to er on the side of caution as I was not 100 % confident with my form atm, but I had a pretty adequate grasp of the basics.

Going back tonight after I re read some sections to practice form with the bar. I stuck it out and didn't give up, so that counts for something.

Week 1, Day 2 - 7/23/17 - Sunday

Squat - 105 3x5

Bench Press - 75 3x5

Deadlift - 115 3x5

Low bar still felt odd. So I narrowed my grip a smidge to see if I could get more back tightness to improve the "Shelf" and sure enough it worked some. Still a work in progress though.

I felt a little elbow discomfort on bench. Don't know if it was poor alignment of my joints on the way down or what to be honest. I didn't have a spotter to help with the lift off or read the whole chapter. I just skimmed the directions so I need to finish the chapter lol.

Deadlift felt good. I really like the simplicity of the 5 step method. Went up by 20.

Time to eat like a tiger...

If you have a certified SS coach within 200 miles I strongly recommend to all lifters to pay a visit with one at least periodically. It can save you much injury.

Keep up the good work.

Carson,

Sounds good. I'll look into it for sure!

If you don't have a coach close by, you can post form check videos in the technique section. This was pretty helpful for me recently.

Also, eat a ton! It will help aid the recovery process. This is probably just an anecdotal placebo effect, but the more weight I gain the less "flimsy"(?) I feel, and feel less prone to injury. I was 6'4" and 160lbs until 20 years old, and remember being cold and sore a lot. Lol.

Your first linear progression will be magic if you stick with it. The process works.

Good luck!

starting strength coach development program
    Breeze,

Thanks for the tips man. Yeah, def need to eat more and finish up the reading but I'm working on it. I will post some form vids soon when my partner gets back in the gym!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast