starting strength gym

Thread: Stalled upper body lifts, lower still moving

Default Stalled upper body lifts, lower still moving

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have stalled out, mostly on my bench, and press is stalling again. My press is in intermediate territory, however my bench is still about 20lbs shy of intermediate for my weight. I have not started to micro-load yet, waiting on the plates to come in. So my question comes down to this, should I look at an intermediate program for bench and press? Can I run an intermediate program for bench and press while still doing SS for legs?

Assistance exercise wise I only do chinups right now, should I add in the 4th power lift as Rip likes to call it?

Finally my lower body lifts all suck bad! I barely squat more than I bench and I am not quite up to my body weight on deadlifts yet. I know sad. Is there something I can do here to get a better response or should I just stick with SS till I stall? In fairness I did have a couple injuries that caused some issues with my lifts, pulled lower back muscle and strained rotator cuff to be exact.

I am about 194lb 37 years old and I have been on the program for a good 6 months now, any advice is appreciated.

Tim

Training advancement has nothing to do with a particular weight in a lift, it is how you recover.

You haven't microloaded your press or bench, so that is your first step when the plates arrive. Reset about 5% from where you stalled and continue LP with 2.5 lb. increases.

You may want to setup your final phase as such:
    Monday squat 3x5 pr, bench press 3x5 pr deadlift 1x5 pr
    Wednesday light squat 2x5, light press 2x5, light bench 2x5, power clean 5x3
    friday squat 3x5 pr, press 3x5 pr, chins volume pr, GHR

micro loading for bench and press is a must you cannot make 5lb jumps on these movements.

Upper body movements move with body weight. If you are losing weight these lifts will slightly decrease (especially press).

If you for some reason cannot get micro plates than setup your 5lb jumps like this: 135 5x3 next week go 135 3x5 then increase 5lbs for 5x3 then same weight again for 3x5.

Try for a month, it is then likely time for intermediate programming.

You need to stop looking at strength standards and calling one lift weak and another lift strong. All you need to focus on is progression on the main lifts. You do not need any assistance exercises yet.

6 months in and not deadlifting your body weight means you're not doing the program.

You should have been adding 30 pounds a week to your deadlift to start, and 15 pounds a week after that.

I started April this year. 35 years old 6'4", 220lbs.
    I didn't follow it exactly for the first few weeks either. My numbers would be higher now if I had.

I've stalled out and missed reps on squats, benches, and presses along the way already. I didn't gain a pound until 2 weeks ago when I was stalling out and really started to eat. Gained 10lbs in 2 weeks and now the numbers have started moving up easily again. Do the workouts as described, and focus on recovery (eat, sleep). My lower body is weak af too, but the numbers are going up, so it doesn't really matter. As long as they keep going up, they'll get there. I did get some micro plates, and I've reset the squats once when I realized my knees were caving. The form correction and eating more has allowed me to build back up and it doesn't feel as hard as it did the first time around.

My main motivation is because I live with daily back pain and I realized I needed to get stronger to fix it. It seems to be working for me. Seems like you are likely not that different than I, although likely shorter. I was 185lbs 2 years ago. A 195lb DL should have been somewhere as early as workout 10, but certainly should have happened for you a long time ago. If you're not getting the results, figure out where you're not doing the program, and then fix it and do the program.

Now 36, 230lbs.
    tonight will be
    squat 234 5x3 (5lbs) (this is the weight I was unable to complete 5x3 two previous sessions and what prompted me to back off a bit and fix my form I weighed 220 those attempts)
    press 129 5x3 (2.5lbs)
    DL 309 5x1 (5lbs)

Two days ago was
    squat 229 5x3 (5lbs)
    bench 199 5x3 (2.5lbs)
    pclean - first night of trying to introduce them, and learning that I have really long forearms. Also discovering I likely won't be able to snatch in my basement...

I'm guessing something's off with your squat and deadlift technique. How close are you to an SSC?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by timistim View Post
    I have stalled out, mostly on my bench, and press is stalling again. My press is in intermediate territory, however my bench is still about 20lbs shy of intermediate for my weight. I have not started to micro-load yet, waiting on the plates to come in. So my question comes down to this, should I look at an intermediate program for bench and press? Can I run an intermediate program for bench and press while still doing SS for legs?

Assistance exercise wise I only do chinups right now, should I add in the 4th power lift as Rip likes to call it?

Finally my lower body lifts all suck bad! I barely squat more than I bench and I am not quite up to my body weight on deadlifts yet. I know sad. Is there something I can do here to get a better response or should I just stick with SS till I stall? In fairness I did have a couple injuries that caused some issues with my lifts, pulled lower back muscle and strained rotator cuff to be exact.

I am about 194lb 37 years old and I have been on the program for a good 6 months now, any advice is appreciated.

Tim
    If you haven't microloaded, then you need to micro load. Yes, the bench progresses for a long time 2 lbs at a time. This is the rule not the exception.