starting strength gym

Thread: Program around SSC session

Default Program around SSC session

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Andy,

First off, thanks for the free service - you helped me get this program started a few weeks ago on this forum. Much appreciated.

I'm on a HLM plan:
    M - light squat, Press (light pressing day), heavy pulls
    W - med squat, paused bench (med press), PC
    F - heavy squat, heavy bench, light deadlifts (medium "pull day")

After mostly cleaning up some deadlift form issues that had my pull held artificially low, I've temporarily gone to a deadlift LP (other lifts are on the HLM schedule above). The last couple weeks, I did a LP on my DL 3 x a week. This is now reduced to two heavy LP pulls, done M and F, with PC in between. Once I stall or start feeling too beaten up, I'll put my pulls on the HLM schedule with my other lifts.

My question:
    I'm seeing a SSC Thursday to work out remaining DL issues. The session is 1-hour, making doing "heavy" day 5 x 5s unlikely if we want to get pull issues addressed. This complicates my programming this week, since I'm supposed to squat heavy on Friday. I did my usual Mon workout yesterday; my thought on altered programming for the week is:

W - do Medium Press, Heavy squat
    TH - SSC session - heavy pulls
    F - Heavy press

This would have me eliminating Medium squat day, and it would be increasing the time between H squat day and my next L squat day by a couple days. Does this seem like a good work around to you? Any alternative suggestions if not?
    Thanks
    Scott

Whoops - just saw this wasn't the Andy section, and I don't know of a way to delete a post - but anyone on here, I'm also open to suggestions.
    Thanks!

Not sure how long your session is booked for, but it might not be a bad idea to try to get your squat critiqued in person as well. I find that I always suffer from technique drift that it doesn't hurt to get some feedback every 3-6 months on the lifts. Unless you're training for a particular event (e.g., upcoming meet) it would be worthwhile to adjust the week so that you can get each of your lifts worked on. Maybe just skip the Wednesday workout altogether, and do heavy squats, pulls, and either OHP or bench depending on which one needs more work on the Thursday SSC session.

I'd take an extra rest day Wednesday, work with the SSC Thursday, and then do your scheduled Friday workout on Saturday. Resume program on Monday.

Also, you could always email the SSC and ask them directly.

Thanks for the tips, all.

@omaniphil, yeah, I'll see if time permits much besides pulls - due to how far mine are behind the rest of my lifts, I'd gladly devote a whole session if it meant truly fixing them. I did LBS during my LP, but anymore, my squat doesn't at all resemble a SS squat - wider stance, high bar. I may return to LBS in the near future, but I took a break when bicep tendonitis started getting bad. But I'm sure a SSC could have something to say about my current squat or another lift.

@mattlifts, yeah, I am leaning toward potentially seeing if I can spread the work out a bit so that nothing is missed but maybe my medium squats - do my usual medium work tomorrow sans pulls, pull with the SSC coach Thursday, do heavy bench Friday, then heavy squats Saturday or something. This will be the second SSC I see - the one I've worked with before actually saw this question and emailed me with the suggestion to just eliminate heavy squats this week and get back to it next week. Also a good suggestion. And yeah I'll email the guy I'm seeing - good call.

Thanks guys.

Why don't you just ask the SSC?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Coyne View Post
    Why don't you just ask the SSC?
    Didn't know SSCs frequented these parts.
    Ended up settling it indirectly when he and I agreed today to both squat and pull during our session. That pretty much settled my programming the days around our session- I'll do medium bench tonight (to avoid any soreness or fatigue that'll badly affect pulls/squats), med squats/heavy pulls tomorrow with the SSC, and will work in my heavy bench/heavy squat days on Saturday probably. Only lift that eliminates this week is my light pull day, which I can live with.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Scott