starting strength gym

Thread: Damiun's SS Novice Log

Default Damiun's SS Novice Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys,

I'm a skinny 26 year old male who started at SS Novice Progression at 143 lbs. I stand 5'8'' tall. I started SS Novice Progression approximately 4 weeks ago. I did session 13 today. I currently weigh 157 lbs. I've been drinking a GOMAD for the last two weeks (it took a little bit to work up to it). My starting weights were 155# squat, 120# bench, 175# deadlift, and 85# overhead press.

Today's session consisted of:

Squat @ 215#
    Bench @ 150#
    Deadlift @235#

Notes: On my second squat set, I struggled with the 4th rep. For some reason, my weight shifted to my toes when I was at the bottom. That made it more difficult than it should have been. Not sure what caused it. Rather irritating. My last set was great though. Bench and deadlift went pretty smooth.

I have yet to fail any reps or miss any workouts. I recently started videoing my sets. I may try to get a few uploaded if I can add some light in my garage.

Time to eat....

Damiun
    Last edited by damiunwalker; 08-17-2017 at 01:57 AM.

08/18/2017 Workout:

Weight: 156

Squat: 220#
    Press: 100#
    Power Clean: 95#

Notes: Squats and Press went well. I'm considering either A)switching from power cleans to weighted pullups or B) going down in weight on Power Cleans. I struggle with form on the movement. I had never done it before SS. It is by far my worst exercise. I always feel out of sync. I'm somewhat disappointed my bodyweight hasn't gone up in a few days. My goal is 163 by 08/22/2017.

Damiun

Welcome. If you have access post a video of your squat. When weight shifts to the toes it may mean that you either bent forward just a little too much or that your back did not rise with your hips. The difference can be very subtle but the results can be a failed lift. A video would help.

Also, find a certified SS coach and have him/her check for technique. It can make a difference between success and failure or even injury.

Thanks Carson. I read through your entire Training Log a couple nights ago. You're the man! Getting some video up is on my To Do List. My garage is too dark at the moment. I'll work on getting some light in there.

I'll be on the lookout for an SS coach.

Damiun,

You are very kind. I enjoy watching new lifters get started. When I wish I had started at a younger age and recall that the safest program for strength development did not start until a few years ago. So, maybe it was best that I did not start lifting until SS existed. It's a wonderful program. I hope that you benefit greatly from its guidance.

08/20/2017 Workout:

Weight: 159

Squat: 225# - 5, 5, 5 =>PR
    Bench Press: 155# - 5, 5, 5
    Deadlift: 245# - 5

Notes: I was still somewhat sore from the last workout. I increased my calorie intake the last couple days. I got up to 161ish by the end of the day last night. After several bathroom breaks (milk caught up to me), I woke up at 155ish. I'm really hoping to get past 160 the next couple days. Today's workout went well. Squat was a PR for me. I've been doing squat drills to ensure good habits. I will tie a PR on deadlift and bench on the next workout I do them.

starting strength coach development program
    08/22/2017 Workout:

Weight: 160

Squat: 230# - 5, 5, 5 PR
    Press: 102.5# - 5, 5, 5
    Chins @ Bodyweight - 10, 10, 10

Notes: Really worked on squat form the last few days. I went from a significant forward knee slide during the entire lowering phase (on every rep mind you) to my knees moving forward at the bottom on 1-2 reps per set. Still work to be done. 230 felt really heavy when I got underneath it, but the reps were completed with good bar speed and depth. Bodyweight is finally starting to move again. Up ~17 lbs in exactly 1 month.

Damiun