starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logging the Mountain

Default Logging the Mountain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've had a couple false starts on the SS program. I've struggled with time management and personal organization my whole life, so I failed myself on earlier attempts by going to bed too late, not planning out what I eat and generally not prioritizing my training enough. For my third go at the program I decided to keep a log on here to see if it helps with accountability at all. I lurk on the forum everyday anyway.

Personal Stats:
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 246lbs
    Waist: 47"
    Bodyfat: 30-35% (best guess)

Goals are simply to get strong and hopefully improve body composition along the way, I'm pretty tired of being a fat ass.

I started training again a week and a half ago. So far so good. I still need to sleep better (getting about 6-7 hours) and track my food intake more consistently. I am definitely getting enough protein but probably overeating. When I settle into some consistent cal/macro tracking I'll probably post my numbers. I'm on a Tue/Thu/Sat schedule and I'll be doing my 6th session tonight. Progress thus far (in lbs):

Squat: 200->220
    Press: 85->95
    Bench: 120->125
    Deadlift: 255->270

I am omitting power cleans for the time being, as I lift alone in my garage and don't feel entirely comfortable teaching myself the movement. I'm using a pair of shitty squat stands, but hope to get a power rack before the end of the year. I am also going to start filming myself in the weeks to come and will include videos when I have time.

And that's about it. Very much looking forward to keeping a log here, even if I am the only one who reads it
    Last edited by James Mountain; 08-17-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Training went fine tonight. Hot as hell in my garage, but I had good energy. I have 2 young kids so I can't lift until I put them to bed at around 8:30pm. Ideally I'd lift as soon as I get home from work at around 5:30, but that's not really an option.

Went up 5lbs on the squat and deadlift, but I jumped 10lbs on the bench after 125 seemed too easy. My presses have always lagged behind, so that was good. I tried hook grip on the deadlift for the first time since the bar has felt like it's slipping out of my fingers on the last rep lately. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would and the bar definitely felt more secure so I'll probably stick with it. Overall everything felt pretty good. I plan on filming myself on Saturday.

08/17 Sets:
    Squat: 225
    Bench: 135
    Deadlift: 275

I was a little worried that after spending the bulk of the afternoon cleaning my garage in near 100% humidity that I might not have the energy to make the lifts tonight, but everything felt great. I did switch back to a normal double-overhand on the deadlift after my grip during the warmup sets felt more than adequate.

08/19 Sets:
    Squat: 230
    Press: 100
    Deadlift: 280
    Last edited by James Mountain; 08-19-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Back at it. Everything felt pretty heavy tonight, but I got all my reps.

08/22 Sets:
    Squat: 235
    Bench: 140
    Deadlift: 280

08/24 Sets:
    Squat: 240
    Press: 105
    Deadlift: 290

Also, it won't let me edit my 08/22 post but my deadlift was 285, not 280.

Welcome. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Welcome. Keep it up.
    Thanks!

08/26 Sets:
    Squat: 245
    Bench: 145
    Deadlift: 295

My squat feels perilously close to stalling. My drive up feels good after I get going, it's mainly my descent that sucks, I think. Stopping and reversing direction without going too low is getting extremely tough. I'm probably just not tight enough at the bottom, I am going to try slowing my descent on Tuesday.

I actually took some videos, but they were too dark to be of much value so I'll have to sort that out.

I'm also trying to eat just a little more. I've dropped 1.5 lbs lost 2 inches on my waist since tightening up my nutrition a couple weeks ago. That is within the range usually Jordan suggests for fluffy/obese, but I am feeling a little more fatigued during the day and possibly during my workouts as well. I want to cut some fat but not at the cost of ending LP too early.

08/28 Stats:
    Weight: 244.6lbs
    Waist: 44.75"
    Last edited by James Mountain; 08-28-2017 at 01:22 PM.

Right here with you man, just keep doing it.

- Another Large 30Something James

Quote Originally Posted by James Montigny View Post
    Right here with you man, just keep doing it.

- Another Large 30Something James
    Thanks! Gotta keep the nose to the grindstone for sure at this point.

08/29 Sets:
    Squat: 250
    Press: 110 (failed; 5,4,4)
    Deadlift: 300

250 squat was a little easier than 245 on Saturday, so that was reassuring. The extra day off probably helped. And I kind of expected my press to stall about now, I feel like my bench needs to get out ahead of it more. I was pretty close to grinding out the 5th rep on sets 2 and 3, so I can probably get 110 on Thursday. My deadlift feels great and shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.

starting strength coach development program
    Greetings! Thanks for sharing your log. I too am having issues with juggling and balancing life.

Just keep at it. It's so worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast