starting strength gym

Thread: Training two consecutive days a week

Default Training two consecutive days a week

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Working with 16 year old high school baseball player. 6'0" 190. He just did 10 weeks of LP. Due to school and baseball off-season conditioning starting, now can only schedule Friday and Saturday mornings for strength training. What is the best way to maintain or continue gains on this sub-optimal schedule until we can resume 3 x week?

My initial thought:
    Friday - Bench/Press
    Saturday - Squat/Deadlift

What kind of volume and intensity should I be thinking about in this scenario? Don't really know what "baseball conditioning" will look like but I assume running. I doubt anything real hard because...baseball.

Could do that or even try:

Fri: Squat / Bench
    Sat: Press / DL

At 16 he can probably do full body 2 days in a row if the lifts are different and then he has 5 days off. Try both and see which one you both like better. I'd do something real basic like just 5 x 5 for each lift. Once he gets 5x5 at a certain weight, go up 2-5 lbs. I'd have him doing Chins as well.

For running....just figure out what their conditioning test is and train for it. It's insane, I know, but our HS here in Kingwood is still using a 2-mile run to condition for baseball (as far as I know). Many other schools do similar nonsense. But...if you gotta do it, you gotta do it. Otherwise, the best conditioning for baseball would be something really simple like going to the track and sprinting (about 80-90% effort) the straights and walking the curves for a mile (8 sprints total maximum). He probably needs to run some full speed sprints as well, but not a high volume. What is it between bases? 60-90 feet??? Maybe 5-6 full speed sprints with 5-6 minutes recovery in between 1x/week to keep his speed up with his strength.