starting strength gym

Thread: Novice Deadlifts on HLM + Traps

Default Novice Deadlifts on HLM + Traps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I'm moving onto HLM for my squat and presses on Friday but I had to deload my deadlift recently and work back up due to some technique errors.

Should I just continue deadlifting 1.5 times/week (alternating with rows) making 2.5kg jumps or should I do them once a week as a heavy pulling movement (with SLDL and rows on Medium and Light days respectively) while making 5kg jumps until I stall then return to 2.5kg jumps?

My primary goal is to improve my strength (2ndry being adding mass), "aesthetics" doesn't interest me that much. However, I have the smallest traps on the planet (they're literally non existent). The only "trap work" I get is from shrugging during my presses and the isometric contraction from deadlifts (can't do PCs until I see a coach). Is there any other direct trap work I can do that isn't a waste of time that will get them to grow? I can't do heavy barbell shrugs as my deadlift is <500lbs so would high rep (10-20 reps) dumbbell/barbell shrugs work at all?

Thanks again

IMO, the best Traps exercise are heavy rack pulls, and for that matter lighter rack pulls done for high reps. I've seen Traps respond to higher rep shrugs with barbells, dumbbells, or even certain machines. They seem to like frequency, so you might try doing like 2-3 x 15-20 2-3x per week for a few weeks and see what happens. You don't need to go crazy heavy as long as your continue to DL heavy with regularity. They won't kill you.

I'd continue to Deadlift every other workout, adding 5 lbs per workout until that stall out again and then you can pull on an HLM program. DL 1x/week for a top work set + 1-2 back off sets and then I like Stiff Legs on another day. You can do BB Rows in between your DL day and your SLDL day.

Will do.

Thanks for the advice, Andy. Also, I'm loving all the content you're putting out on your Youtube Channel. Keep it up.