starting strength gym

Thread: Texas Method - Intensity pull

Default Texas Method - Intensity pull

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

24, M, 180cm / 5ft11in, 78kg / 172lb

I'm not a professional athlete, no specific sports I do besides strength training.

I have the following template for Texas Method:

Volume Day
    Squat 5 X 5 @ 90% 5RM
    Bench Press/Press 5 X 5 @ 90% 5RM
    Deadlift 1 X 5 @ 90% 5RM

Recovery Day
    Squat 2 X 5 @ 80% of Volume Day
    Bench Press / Press 3 X 5 @ 90% previous 5 X 5 weight (load slightly lighter than previous OHP weight for the Press)

Intensity Day
    Squat Warm-up, work up to a new 5RM
    Bench Press / Press Warm-up, work up to a new 5RM

Bench Press and Press alternate as you know. Volume,Recovery,Intensity would be Press,Bench,Press or Bench,Press,Bench.
    Since I don't know how to do power cleans, nor do I have any decent weightlifting coach or Starting Strength Coach in my area, I'm leaving these out of my program.

Is it fine to add the Deadlift for the Intensity Day, attempting a new PR (5RM, 3RM, 2RM)?
    I thought about adding the Barbell Row for the Power Clean spot, but I think that if I had to replace the Power Clean with either Deadlift or Row, maybe Deadlift would be more suited.

As for assistance exercises, I'm thinking on including Weighted Chinups and Farmer's Walks:

Chinups Warm-up to a new PR, then add a bit of volume ( 2 X 5 @ 90% 5RM )

Farmer's Walks 30-35'' X 3 @ Max Weight (I did some little LP on these, currently at 37.5kg / 82lb per hand, I believe I can still milk some LP out of this).

Basic structure is fine. I'm a fan of the DL on Intensity Day rather than volume day but people do it both ways. For the Volume Day I kinda like about 3 sets of Stiff Leg Deads and then Chins on Wednesday.

5s won't last too long on Friday so you'll need to swtich those to sets in the 1-3 rep range.

I'm also a fan of Bench on Mon/Fri and Pressing on Weds, rather than flip flopping back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I'm a fan of the DL on Intensity Day rather than volume day but people do it both ways.
    I asked this because we see volume and testing (intensity) done for the squats and the presses but not for the pulls (without including Power Cleans). Thank you for your insight!

For the Volume Day I kinda like about 3 sets of Stiff Leg Deads and then Chins on Wednesday.
    I was thinking about adding Weighted Chinups and Farmer's Walks (mentioned before) on Recovery Day. The Stiff-Legged Deadlift is a good variant to keep in mind.

5s won't last too long on Friday so you'll need to swtich those to sets in the 1-3 rep range.
    Do you mean shooting for a new 3RM, 2RM or 1RM?
    If that's the case, how do I increase my volume loads, since they are based on 5RM?

This is a very easy system to follow: The KSC Texas Method ? Andy Baker

Lays out some starting percentages for a 3-week wave for both volume and intensity work

This is a very easy system to follow: The KSC Texas Method ? Andy Baker

Lays out some starting percentages for a 3-week wave for both volume and intensity work
    Sorry for this hijack,

@Andy does the KSC TM lay out methods for press only and bench as assistance ? Thanks

Not specifically, but it's rather easy to figure out. Just put Bench on Wednesday and Press on Mon/Fri and keep sets/reps/% all the same.

This is a very bare bones program, so just know that before purchase. This isn't a complete rewrite of the TM chapters from PPST3. This is just an example program that I've found useful, mainly because it shows you how to cycle volume on the volume day (not in PPST3) to mirror the rep rotation on intensity day. There is also some %'s to use as a starting point for the whole program so you get off on the right foot.

Not specifically, but it's rather easy to figure out. Just put Bench on Wednesday and Press on Mon/Fri and keep sets/reps/% all the same.

This is a very bare bones program, so just know that before purchase. This isn't a complete rewrite of the TM chapters from PPST3. This is just an example program that I've found useful, mainly because it shows you how to cycle volume on the volume day (not in PPST3) to mirror the rep rotation on intensity day. There is also some %'s to use as a starting point for the whole program so you get off on the right foot.
    Thanks I got it already.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky85 View Post
    Thanks I got it already.
    And I have to say this is a very good read. Finally a TM handbook explaining volume/intensity percentages and appropriate assistance and conditioning options. Actually this is what it has been discussed in Programming sub-forum gathered in an ebook.