Thread: imbalanced press comments invited/welcome

Default imbalanced press comments invited/welcome

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    background
    -------------
    46 YO guy, 6'2", 225-230 lbs
    **stroke survivor in 2010. my left side is significantly weaker and less coordinated that the right. I imagine this is both muscle weakness and neurological in nature

Doing SS for 2+ years and have had to start over several times due to other health issues(DVT in leg, for example)
    recent numbers---> squat: 180*5*1; deadlift 200*5*1; press 60*5*1

question/issue
    ----------------
    My press always stalls around 60-70 even after multiple resets. My left side just can't increase at same rate as right in terms of reps or weight. I have tried longer rests between sets, extra day of rest, microloading,set progession, and the such. My stroke messed up my sleep patterns permanently- I get 6-7 hours per night usually.I had hoped I could 'train through it" as others have said, but can't seem to make it work.
    I have started experimenting loading the right end of the bar slightly heavier than the left by 2.5, 3.75, or 5 lbs. This seems to keep the bar speed a little more even and makes me more likely to be able to complete my reps.

Has anyone else done this and have any useful comments, feedback, or advise?

Thanks,

Jon Turner

How much volume are you doing on your Press each week. Presses love volume. You may need to work in an extra day each week on top of more set volume at each workout with submaximal weights to "fix" the issue. Presses will probably never be a great lift for you, but I think we can get you higher than 60 lbs. Unless you are talking kilos here?

I am training twice weekly now. Weight is in pounds. My last press session was: 20x5x2, 40x5x1, 55x5x1, 60x5x3. The 60 was imbalanced (left:26.75,right: 33.25) And it was still pretty difficult.

Are you training the Press 2x/week?

yes, pressing twice a week.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you Bench? Does it respond the same way? I just cannot see a 46 year old male that weighs 225-230 lbs only able to Press 60 lbs. It sounds like the neurological issues from the stroke is your primary impediment. I can't see any other reason your Press would be this low.