starting strength gym

Thread: Am I still a novice at my age?

Question Am I still a novice at my age?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

Been doing SS for a number of months. Has been smooth sailing until the past month or so, where I'm suddenly stalling on everything frequently.

I'm in the middle age bracket (39 yrs old). I can't remember the exact weights I started at as I have changed how I keep logs since then, but here is a rough idea:
    Squat - from 135 lb to 215 lb
    Bench - from 95 lb to 157.5 lb
    Press - from not sure to 117.5 lb
    Deadlift - from 145 lb to 270 lb
    Clean - from not sure to 130 lb

My body weight has gone up from about 187 lb to 205 lb (BF% went up from 19% to 21%). Am 6 ft tall.

I'm currently on paternity leave and taking care of my daughter. As you can imagine I don't sleep as well as I could, but do nap frequently and overall don't do to bad.

Could it be I've just reached the end of my noob gains? My numbers seem low for that but I'm not sure at 39 yrs old? If it is because my recovery is lacking due to being on paternity leave, can I slow down the program somehow (like move to weekly gains) to help compensate for a while? I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice would certainly be appreciated!

Generally we'd see a little bit higher numbers before stalling out. 39 is not the same as 22, but it isn't "old" yet. 20 lbs of weight gain is good, but could certainly be higher at 6'0 ft tall. Read Rip's article on "The 3 Big Questions" or whatever the hell it's called. But basically, are you eating appropriately, are you resting enough between sets, are you making appropriate jumps from workout to workout.