starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a once a week routine for a novice

Default Advice on a once a week routine for a novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I do Muay Thai, and am going to start running 3x a week. My schedule is going to look like

Sun: 30 min run
    Mon: Muay Thai
    Tue: 30 min run
    Wed: Muay Thai
    Thur: 30 min run
    Friday: Lifting
    Sat: Rest

Since I am not conditioned to run, I don't want to run the same days as Muay Thai. Eventually I want to add in another Muay Thai session, after I can do 30 min of straight running. Then Ill do a run in the morning and Muay Thai in the evenings on Mon, Wed, Fri and will have 2 days to lift then.

I did some research on the forum and found a post by Andy where he states this routine for 1x week lifter.

Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 2x5 (1 work set, one back off)
    Press 2x8
    Lat Pulldown/Chins 3x8-10

My question is that since I will be doing Pushups (which I am horrible at) during Muay Thai, would it make sense to do 3x5 Press instead? and do DB Bench for 2x8? Im also not sure what the reason behind the back off deadlift set is. The post was also from 2015, so if there are other ideas of discussions about what I should do please let me know. I am also planning on doing Pullups after Muay Thai. So I don't necessarily need to do them 1x a week.

Thanks!

Why do you need to run?

You'll see much better results if you follow the normal novice linear progression on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and only run on Friday. You can get a little stronger lifting once per week, but you'll hit a wall really fast - maybe in as few as four sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    Why do you need to run?
    Aerobic conditioning. Im gassing out hard during sparring sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You'll see much better results if you follow the normal novice linear progression on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday and only run on Friday. You can get a little stronger lifting once per week, but you'll hit a wall really fast - maybe in as few as four sessions.
    Oh thats not good. I could perhaps go to 2x a week and run 2x week. From what I've reading aerobic conditioning requires frequency. Something like 3-5x week and over 30 min each session.

I think you'll find that lifting, especially as things get heavier, will provide much more aerobic conditioning than you think. Between getting stronger and the conditioning work of actually sparring, you may be able to cut out most (maybe all?) of your projected running. Try running regular linear progression (be sure to eat and recover) and no running for four weeks and see where you end up. At the end of four weeks, reassess where you are.

Not sure if 30min of running is going to translate into you being better/more conditioned at Muay Thai, but getting stronger will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    I think you'll find that lifting, especially as things get heavier, will provide much more aerobic conditioning than you think. Between getting stronger and the conditioning work of actually sparring, you may be able to cut out most (maybe all?) of your projected running. Try running regular linear progression (be sure to eat and recover) and no running for four weeks and see where you end up. At the end of four weeks, reassess where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Not sure if 30min of running is going to translate into you being better/more conditioned at Muay Thai, but getting stronger will.
    Ok, that makes sense. I will give what you guys say a try and then reassess after about 2-3 months.

Thanks!

You are already going to get tons of conditioning in just from training Muay Thai. You will not get anything from running on the days in between except more beat up. Once a week lifting is insufficient exposure to the stress to drive sustained progress past a handful of early workouts.

Really your best bet is to do your LP first. It only takes 3-6 months. Then take up Muay Thai. But since you're not going to do that, you could do this:

Sunday: Lift
    Monday: Muay Thai
    Tuesday: Lift, probably need to add a light squat day earlier than you otherwise would because of Muay Thai
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lift
    Friday: Muay Thai

You'll notice this is only Muay Thai 2x/wk. I have a hard time seeing you make sustained progress on your squat and deadlift while training Muay Thai 3x/wk. Muay Thai will kill your legs for lifting. Sorry, but you're probably going to have to make a choice here, at least until you are an intermediate lifter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Tully View Post
    You are already going to get tons of conditioning in just from training Muay Thai. You will not get anything from running on the days in between except more beat up. Once a week lifting is insufficient exposure to the stress to drive sustained progress past a handful of early workouts.

Really your best bet is to do your LP first. It only takes 3-6 months. Then take up Muay Thai. But since you're not going to do that, you could do this:

Sunday: Lift
    Monday: Muay Thai
    Tuesday: Lift, probably need to add a light squat day earlier than you otherwise would because of Muay Thai
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lift
    Friday: Muay Thai

You'll notice this is only Muay Thai 2x/wk. I have a hard time seeing you make sustained progress on your squat and deadlift while training Muay Thai 3x/wk. Muay Thai will kill your legs for lifting. Sorry, but you're probably going to have to make a choice here, at least until you are an intermediate lifter.
    Thank you for that detailed post. I am not totally opposed to just running LP by itself, but its something I need to think over completely. If I do decide to stick with Muay Thai, I will definitely follow the approach you laid out, until I am intermediate. Doing Muay Thai 2x week is enough for me.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast