starting strength gym

Thread: Skipping days on HLM?

Default Skipping days on HLM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I'm a week into HLM and already looking to skip days! Slacker!

But my problem is real - with child arrangements, one week I can do: Wed, Fri, Sun. The next week I can only do Wed. Makes things a bit tough. I might be able to get cover for a 2nd day in that week. Maybe.

So my question is should I do my Heavy on Wednesday, then wait a week and do Light on the next Wednesday and carry on? Or do Heavy on Wednesday, then do Heavy again on the next wednesday (having increased weights if appropriate) and then carry on, thus skipping a Light and Medium every 2 weeks?

My landlord is selling my place, so this may force me to find a place that is bigger, allowing me to buy my own weights and then i can train at home any day I like. . . like a true garage warrior.

-------

For those that are thinking of the change to HLM from a four day texas method - here are my thoughts:

Heavy day was bloody hard. Legs were sore for the light day, but got through it. Legs still sore for Medium day, again got through it. Sessions were long - 2 hours each (light day had a bit of high angle treadmill walking).

Had my second Heavy day last night. By joe that was a workout. felt ruined afterward, but also felt pretty good, until I got home and remembered I have stairs in my house. The next day though my legs are feeling golden and I can't wait to get into the gym again.

Previously I would have 4 x work outs of 1 - 1.5 hours. Now i'm doing 3 x workouts of 2 hours each. Feels like more work, but after having done 4 day TM for a year or so, it feels like good fit now.

I'm an older gentlemen at 35, so HLM may end up being where its at for a while. . .

Yeah, just go HLM on weeks where you can fit it in, and then just a heavy day on weeks where you only train 1 time.

If a person on HLM can only do two workouts a week, is it better to do Heavy-Light or Heavy-Medium?

/Not that I EVER skip a workout ;P

Thanks Andy.

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    If a person on HLM can only do two workouts a week, is it better to do Heavy-Light or Heavy-Medium?

/Not that I EVER skip a workout ;P

Kind of a murky question.....it's just going to be Heavy and LIGHTER.