starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Barnyard's training log

Default Lord of the Barnyard's training log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    35 yrs old. Male. 135Lbs. 5'10” tall. Skinny always.
    Never lifted in my life. Never seen the inside of a gym before.

First day today.
    Gym is a bit daunting for an introvert.

Not quite clear on how/what to report. As newb as newb can be.
    Pounds? Kg? Work set weight (includes the bar I assume), reps x sets?

Squat
    65 lbs 5x1

Press
    45 lbs 5x3

Deadlift
    95 lbs 5x1

Deadlift and press made sense generally to my body. I am sure I had some terrible form and will go and re-watch the videos and re-read the book.
    Squat – a couple of years ago I wanted to learn to sit comfortably in a squat, so I have been doing that for a long time. It's really easy for me to go TOO deep. But I'm generally UNflexible in pretty much any other way and my arms and shoulders found holding the bar in the squat position to be really painful
    Any suggestions for work to do to try and make that easier to do??

Welcome. Feel free to post to the technique forum or coaches Q&A for feedback on your lifts. Better yet, schedule a session with a coach. Well worth it and shortens the learning curve. Also, read articles on the website. And gain weight!!

Thanks!
    I'll need to figure out quite a bit to be able to tape my form.
    As far as I can tell the nearest coach to me is 2 hours away (I'm in mid-ohio).

2 hours is not bad at all! The closest for me is 6, while some people are much, much farther. I would schedule a session with the nearest one ASAP. You will be glad that you did! Good luck.

FWIW, I just drove 3 hours each way yesterday for my first coaching session with an SSC (Nick Klemetson). I've been lifting for about a year with some early "coaching" from a local non-SSC personal trainer (though a decent powerlifter). I"ve also watched hours of video, read the books multiple times, etc. So...was it worth the trip? ABSOLUTELY! I got more useful feedback in an hour than I imagined possible. I have lots to work on before I make the next road trip for a session. While there are no guarantees, I would be shocked if you did not find working face-to-face with an SSC to be worth the time, driving distance and money.

oh man. my wife makes fun of me for my love of "being right" and gurus. she thinks SS is goofy (she hasn't looked into it). I think i makes sense for the right set of goals.
    you guys aren't helping. i wasn't seriously considering spending a full day a couple of times to get F2F assistance, but now it'll cross my mind.

11/6/17

Squat
    75 lbs 5x3

Bench Press
    85 lbs 5x3

Deadlift
    140 lbs 5x1

11/8/17

Squat
    95 lbs 5x3

Press
    55 lbs 5x3

Deadlift
    155 lbs 5x1

It's amazing, been in the gym 3 times in my life. My wife says, "is my mind messing with me, do you look bigger?" I said "ha must be your mind." but it's not. i am bigger. that's crazy.
    bit off a bit more than I could chew this morning. i have to remember I am 35 and good form a little gains consistently will serve me better than larger leaps that can't be done with anything approaching good form.

when you bite off too much - what's the best method to fix the error - recognize it that day and set your sights a little lower? keep that same goal for the next workout?
    I'll read up, but if anyone wants to pipe up before then...

11/10/17

Squat
    85 lbs 5x3

Bench Press
    90 lbs 5x3

Deadlift
    165 lbs 5x1

gyms that don't allow chalk? any solutions?

grip for deadlift? - pad of hand is either squished high or squished low, neither seems to be very comfortable.

starting strength coach development program
    11/13/17

Squat
    95 lbs 5x3

Press
    60 lbs 5x3

Deadlift
    175 lbs 5x1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast