starting strength gym

Thread: Form Checks + program advice

Default Form Checks + program advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe, I'm a huge fan of Starting Strength. I have recommended your book to many other people on the innarnets, been waiting for my affiliate check for months now. I recently ordered practical programming, can't wait to read it.

I'd also like to include power snatches, overhead squats, and jerks in my programming once I stall a few times on SS, will PP help me create a program with these lifts? If no, any suggestions?

Form checks
    I think I have pretty good form on squats, but am unsure of my depth, and the slight back rounding at the bottom. This is my third work set (did 6 cuz I don't count good)
    Squats

My deadlifts I feel are decent, although the starting position might be a little off.
    Deadlift

On power cleans I have a tendency to jump back a little bit. How to fix?
    Power cleans

PPST will help you with that program, if you can apply the principles to your particular situation.

Squat: Any time your knees slide forward at the bottom of a squat, I'm not going to like it, as you might notice when reading the other posts with squat videos on this silly board.

Deadlift: It's very hard to tell anything from one rep. But if this is typical, the initial change in your back angle indicates a start position that is a little low in the hips with the bar forward of your mid-foot.

Clean: I have less problem with the jumping back, which is not really that bad a deal, than I do with the bar being that far out in front off the floor. And this angle is very hard to diagnose problems from.

I recently purchased SS 2nd edition since my 1st edition was loaned out and I can't wait for it to come back. Haven't been through it yet.

I've been struggling on squat form. I've read pretty much every thread in this excellent forum (going back to page 29 or so), which I think has helped ingrain the common problems and fixes in my head. I've been bringing a camera in pretty often to get instant feedback which has also been helping. I will take a 45 degree angle shot next time for squats and deadlifts, it was a little crowded today. The deadlift shot is pretty bad.

Self critique:
    My knees still slide forward from time to time. Some reps are better than others. I think it has generally improved a little bit. I feel like I have this build that makes it difficult to sit back, but I'm pretty average, 5'9" 205lbs, and torso and leg length are pretty normal. I need to think about sitting back and keeping the knees out and back. The first and last cues haven't clicked until recently. Not too sure about my hip drive, when I am squatting I don't really feel like I'm doing it all that well. I have changed my head position so that it is more down, it used to be straight ahead. In order to keep my knees out, I feel like I have to "tense" up my leg.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z7_AEzbvYPg

If there is nothing to comment on that wasn't included in my own critique, don't waste your time on my post.

Hope you enjoyed the soundtrack!

The squat looks pretty good here, pretty well fixed. The deadlift looks like it rolls away from your mid-foot just before it leaves the ground due to your tendency to prefer a too-vertical back position. Leave your ass up higher and squeeze your chest up into position without rolling the bar forward during your setup. It will be a tight uncomfortable position, but it takes all the "slack" out of your start and makes a correct vertical bar path happen every time.

And it would be better if you confine yourself to Chicago's first five albums. They are always safe, displaying exceptional musicianship and essentially devoid of unrequited love.