starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TJ's Novice LP

Default TJ's Novice LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there. 22 years old, 6'2 or 6'3, 230 lbs. Been doing my novice linear progression for 2 weeks. Figured I'd start logging it here. I'll start tracking my sleep and posting that along with the training, and if I stall I'll start tracking my calorie intake as well. Current strategy is to just eat like a horse. Many thanks to the SS community for all the great information.

Current work set weights:

Squat: 285
    Bench: 160
    Press: 115
    Deadlift: 335

Did my first workout of the week yesterday. Got pushed back a day because I had to take care of the sick girlfriend.

Squats at 290. A few reps were too far onto my toes. I looked up at the bottom on a couple reps. Need to focus on keeping the weight in my mid-foot, keeping my eyes down, and shoving my ass out of the hole.

Bench at 165. These were easy.

Deadlifts at 345. First time doing hook grip. I need to practice it more, it felt very strange.

Session would've been better if I'd gotten more sleep. I need to sleep and eat much more.

Second workout of the week yesterday.

Squats at 300. Still need to focus on driving my hips.

Presses at 115. Easy enough.

Deadlifts at 355. Not too tough.

Still need more sleep, still need more food.

Logging the Tuesday workout here.

Squats at 310. Form felt terrible, almost every rep was a grind, I need to record and upload for a form check.

Bench at 170. Not too tough.

Deadlifts at 365. Pretty easy.

I'm gonna have a sleep study done, I think I have sleep apnea and it's interfering with my progress. Still need to eat more.

Thursday workout.

Squats at 315. Actually didn't feel terrible. Lots of reps were still grinds. Form still felt pretty bad.

Presses at 125. These were unreasonably hard. I'm gonna try to clean up some technique issues, I think my bracing and my bounce are off.

Deadlifts at 370. Easy enough.

Monday workout. Back on a MWF schedule now because of work.

Squats at 320. These sucked. My lumbar spine was not neutral for some of the reps, I looked up, my hip drive sucked, and I'm favoring my left side for some reason. I only got 4 reps on the last set. I'm chalking this up to horrendous technique and lack of sleep.

Bench at 175. These weren't so bad.

Deadlifts at 375. These were not bad, but I need to fix my grip so I can stop getting massive calluses.

My pet is sick, and the stress of that along with finals kind of messed up training today. I'm not gonna let it happen again.
    Last edited by ronniecoleslaw; 12-17-2017 at 11:00 PM.

I didn't even bother logging my last couple training sessions because they were so bad. I got a midline hernia and I'm going in to get it looked at tomorrow. Not sure what the doc is going to suggest I do about the hernia, but I'm planning to train through it. I'm gonna take a 10% deload on my squat, which is very weak of me, but I think that I need it. Between finals, my girlfriend of 3.5 years breaking up with me, and my pet that I've had for 12 years dying on me, I don't think I have the recovery capabilities in me right now to keep pushing

TLDR; life is getting in the way, I'm backing off a little and then buckling in for a long ride through LP.

My first thought reading your log was, "holy crap that's a really strong deadlift and squat" to be near the beginning of LP. Do you have previous history with weights?

I'm sorry that you've had a lot of setbacks recently. That sucks.

Don't have any real previous experience. A little bit of messing around for a couple years on silly "routines," with frequent months-long breaks. Started off around 260 on squat and 290 on deadlift a little over a month ago.

Thanks for your support. I'll get through it.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's training:

Squats at 290. Took a 10% deload because of all the stuff I've been dealing with. Barring absolute catastrophe, I'm gonna refrain from doing that again for the rest of LP. These weren't that tough, but something was messed up and my hip drive just wasn't there.

Press at 115. Also a 10% deload. Timing the bounce and the press together is still presenting some issues for me.

Deadlift at 380. This wasn't a deload, and this was still very easy.
    Last edited by ronniecoleslaw; 12-22-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: edited for incorrect press numbers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast