starting strength gym

Thread: Weighted Chins/Pullups

Default Weighted Chins/Pullups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I am doing your novice program exactly as outlined in PP. I am doing chins on the Monday workout and pullups on the Friday workout. Over the total of the 3 sets, I am gaining 2-3 reps every workout for chins, and 1-2 for pullups. Chin workout 2 weeks ago was 11 reps, 7 reps, 6 reps. Last week was 11 reps, 8 reps, 7 reps. Pullups have stayed the same the last two weeks at 8 reps, 6 reps, and 5 reps.

When would you recommend to start doing the weighted versions?

Also, I am also very curious as to the reasoning why such a huge volume (45 reps) is necessary, especially when everything else is only 15 reps? Not to argue, just curious!

I'd start weighted chins when your first set gets to 15 reps, same for pullups. If you're improving that fast, it shouldn't be more than a couple more weeks. As for why 45 reps, do the math for me, because I don't know how you get there. You're going to be weighted, and using fewer reps, as soon as your first set gets to 15, so 3 sets will never be 45 reps anyway.

Mr. Rippetoe,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the reason why I asked is because in PP, it says not to start the weighted versions until you get 15 reps for all 3 sets, yet other times you have stated to start weighted versions as soon as one gets 15 reps on the first set. Maybe just a typo in PP?

Not a typo in PPST, just an example of how things are seldom graven in stone. Especially things that are not as important as "If you don't squat you are a pussy."