starting strength gym

Thread: Weightlifting Shoes (Elevated Heels)

Default Weightlifting Shoes (Elevated Heels)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,

I have a question about your explanation on weightlifting shoes. In SS, you talk a bit about using a block of wood under the heels to make the squat easier. You specifically state that this becomes just a crutch that does not deal with the root cause of the problem. You then talk a bit about how important it is to have weightlifting shoes citing the elevated heels as one of the benefits.

This struck me as slightly contradictory. Could you please elaborate on this?

There is a tremendous difference between a 1 1/2" thick 2x4 under the heels, which provides load on 2 places against the foot, and a weightlifting shoe with a solid wedge sole 5/8" thick. The 2x4 allows a lifter with tight hamstrings to not stretch them out, while the shoe provides a little better knee position for use of the quads at the bottom as well as a stable interface between the foot and the ground.

Rippetoe, I find it harder to keep the knees from moving forward at the bottom of the squat when using weight lifting shoes versus regular shoes that dont have an inclination. Is this normal and is the best solution just to cue yourself to keep your ass back more?

Yes, keep your ass back more.