starting strength gym

Thread: SS Protocol for Missed Rep

Default SS Protocol for Missed Rep

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

My wife and I are both in the midst of an SS program (3 weeks in). We're both older trainees (49, 50) and have been doing some strength training, mainly through the CrossFit WOD's, for the past 18 months (wife) and 2.5 yrs (me). I wasn't sure if we were novices or not, but we have both made good (linear) progress so far and have both hit multiple pr's for the 5 rep sets.

We have both missed reps in our work-outs over the past week, and not necessarily on the last set. What is the protocol within a work-out when you miss a rep in the first or second set? I understand that if you stall out for a couple work-outs on a given lift, you should back off 10% and proceed.

Today, I missed rep 5 on my first set of press (I've been adding about 2-3 lbs per wo), so continued on with 4 more sets of 3 at the same weight, for roughly the same volume. I plan to back off 10% for my next press work-out. Good, bad, ugly?

My wife had a similar issue on bench, barely hitting rep 3 and missing rep 4 on her first set. She tried again and missed rep 3, then backed off to the same weight she'd used on her last WO for three more sets. Again, she plans to back off 10% next time.

I guess the basic question is how to proceed when missing one or more reps on sets 1 or 2, assuming that it wasn't just lack of focus or a bad day.

Thanks.

If you miss reps in the first sets and the rest of the sets too, you're stuck, at least that day. But I would not assume that you're stuck until this happens for 2 more workouts, because it could have been a bad day and you won't know untill you try the same weight again. This time make extra sure you're rested, have eaten correctly before the workout, and are warmed up well before the work sets.