starting strength gym

Thread: N00BI3 Log

Default N00BI3 Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Howdy y'all! I'm finally doing this, so I figured I'd post here for some accountability.

Quick Background: 34y, M, 6'1", 208 lbs, been fat all my life.

I'm completely untrained on barbells. When I walked in the gym on November 18 and started squatting that was the first time I'd ever touched a barbell! I've always known that I needed to get in the gym and better myself, but for some reason I never did, mostly lazy probably. Also found that I was fairly intimidated once I finally got in there, but I intend to persist.

There are some gaps in my log thus far, but I'm trying to get it straight. I work long stressful hours and I struggle with insomnia, so if I don't hit 4 hours of sleep, I skip the workout. This a good idea or nah?

Anyway, the log:

11/18/2017
    Squat - 85 lbs 5x3
    Press - 85 lbs 5x3
    DL - 135 lbs 5x1

11/21/2017
    Squat - 95 lbs 5x3
    Bench - 115 lbs 5x3
    DL - 145 lbs 5x1

11/24/2017
    Squat 105 5x3
    Press - 90 5x3
    DL - 155 lbs 5x1

11/27/2017
    Squat - 115 lbs 5x3
    Bench - 120 lbs 5x3
    DL - 165 lbs 5x1

11/30/2017
    Squat - 125 lbs 5x3
    Press - 95 lbs 5x3
    DL - 175 lbs 5x1

12/02/2017
    Squat -135 lbs 5x3
    Bench - 125 lbs 5x3
    DL - 185 5x1

12/04/2017
    Squat - 145 lbs 5x3
    Press - 100 lbs 5x3
    DL - 195 lbs 5x1

I'm going to get some form videos soon; hopefully I'm doing as well as it feels and looks like in the mirror. So far, I've felt good with the progressions, but the squat speed slowed a little last time and I had soreness again for the first time since the initial workout.

Thanks for viewing. Feedback is welcomed and hoped for!
    Last edited by N00BI3; 12-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.

I am 5'11, 210 lbs, 37 years old with zero barbell experience too. Even our starting weights were about the same. So overall, I know where you are coming from.

I've been at it about 6 weeks and the progress is amazing. Honestly, I can't recommend getting little sleep. For me, more sleep seems essential. Also, skipping workouts is not the greatest idea. But if that's where you're at in life right now, that's just the way it is. Maybe a good goal is to work toward building into your schedule a more consistent sleep pattern. Your body really does need it to recover and adapt to the new stresses!

Also, are you seeing a Starting Strength Coach? I can't recommend doing so enough. YouTube form checks are better than nothing, but nothing compared to a regular visit to a SSC.

Anyway...keep at it, even if conditions are perfect. It's still going to be 1000x better than doing nothing, right. Good Luck!

Hey!
    You're really going to love sticking with it.

I'm not a doctor, but melatonin really helps for me (5mg). Try not to give yourself any excuses not to go to the gym. You'll thank yourself for it later.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRichard View Post
    I am 5'11, 210 lbs, 37 years old with zero barbell experience too. Even our starting weights were about the same. So overall, I know where you are coming from.

I've been at it about 6 weeks and the progress is amazing. Honestly, I can't recommend getting little sleep. For me, more sleep seems essential. Also, skipping workouts is not the greatest idea. But if that's where you're at in life right now, that's just the way it is. Maybe a good goal is to work toward building into your schedule a more consistent sleep pattern. Your body really does need it to recover and adapt to the new stresses!

Also, are you seeing a Starting Strength Coach? I can't recommend doing so enough. YouTube form checks are better than nothing, but nothing compared to a regular visit to a SSC.

Anyway...keep at it, even if conditions are perfect. It's still going to be 1000x better than doing nothing, right. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the feedback! Sleep has been an issue for me as long as I can remember, so I am just going to go for it. If my progress is slow, then so be it.

Glad to know that you have been having success in the same boat as me. First time I walked in the gym it seemed like everyone was 23 and jacked and I was amid thirties chub ball squatting the bar. Silly I know, but it was still a bit of a mental barrier for me, so it's good to know that there are others like me!

Quote Originally Posted by SiQ View Post
    Hey!
    You're really going to love sticking with it.

I'm not a doctor, but melatonin really helps for me (5mg). Try not to give yourself any excuses not to go to the gym. You'll thank yourself for it later.
    Thanks SiQ! Bought some melatonin yesterday and got 6 hours last night! Hopefully this keeps up!

ETA: I want to see a SS coach, but there aren't any in Alabama. I'm going to see if I can set something up for a Sunday (working 6 - 10s for the foreseeable future) over in Atlanta sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by N00BI3; 12-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.

I can personally vouch for all of the coaches at Atlanta Barbell as well as some of the non-coaches as well. Atlanta Barbell is my gym and Alex, Niki, Dee, and Tanner are all very capable coaches - great people, too! No matter who you see, you'll walk away a lot more confident in your form and future progress.

It appears that Alabama can use a SS coach. Maybe you will be one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    I can personally vouch for all of the coaches at Atlanta Barbell as well as some of the non-coaches as well. Atlanta Barbell is my gym and Alex, Niki, Dee, and Tanner are all very capable coaches - great people, too! No matter who you see, you'll walk away a lot more confident in your form and future progress.
    That's the plan! I hope to get something set up in January.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    It appears that Alabama can use a SS coach. Maybe you will be one someday.
    Goals are great!

12/8/2017

Squat - 155 lbs 5x3
    Bench - 135 lbs 5x3 (made a 10lb jump)
    DL - 205 lbs 5x1

Another gap; work got me. That said, this sets me up for the best schedule for me Friday, Sunday, Tuesday.
    Last edited by N00BI3; 12-09-2017 at 10:18 AM.

12/10/2017

Body weight: 214 (+6 lbs)
    BF%: 24% (-1%)

The above measurements are per Aria scales, so take the BF% for what it's worth.

Today's workout:

Squat - 165 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets
    Press - 105 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets
    Dead - 225 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set

I struggled mightily on rep 5 of sets 2 and 3 of the press.

Also, the app prompted me to add power cleans on workout B now since I've passed my body weight in dead.

starting strength coach development program
    12/12/2017

Squat - 175 lbs x 5, 4
    170 lbs x 4
    Bench - 140 lbs x 5 reps x 3 sets
    Dead - 235 lbs x 5 reps x 1 set

Failed the 175# squat on rep 5 set 2. I backed it down to 170 and was only able to manage 4. I think this was a combination of lack of sleep and yesterday I had to go to the gym after work where I walk a good bit, yesterday my fitbit said 39 floors and 19k steps when I walked into the gym. I typically go during lunch when I'm less fatigued.

Bench was still pretty easy.

Deadlift is starting to get tough, but I think I have a few more 10# jumps if I can get better rest.