Default John's Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Biographical / Historical details:

39 years old
    6 foot tall
    170 pounds
    10.5% body fat per BIA (Bioimpedance Analysis device)

No prior injuries or sports specific training. I have a desk job but manage to stay fairly active with lots of walking throughout the day. I use my lunch hour to hit the gym often running 10Ks most days. In the past I've run lots of 5k's, 10ks, and half marathons. If you were to see me I'm basically bone and flesh - no real muscle to speak of. As I've done the running thing for many years now I've grown bored with it and would like to become strong.

I have a FitBit Charge 2 which I track everything so I have a good idea of what I'm eating and burning and doing. My "default" food intake comes out to about 2000 calories a day of Paleo'ish food (I love oats, refuse to give them up). I realize that isn't going to cut it to gain weight and muscle so I plan to initially jump up to 3000 calories and monitor from there (still eating a mostly Paleo diet if possible). My guess is that won't be enough food as the Fitbit indicates I typically burn 3300 - 3400 calories per day. I've always been lean and muscle-less even without running.

I was diagnosed at age 35 with low-T (it was under 100 ng/dl). Endo has me on 160/mg/weekly of T cyp. which pushes me to the higher end of normal I also have blood sugar issues (fasting blood sugar typically around 118) so I watch my sugar in take like a hawk (hence my switch to the Paleo diet years ago).

I will consider my journey successful when I can do the following:

Squat - 1.5x bodyweight
    Deadlift - 2x bodyweight
    Bench - 1x bodyweight
    OHP - .75x bodyweight

If the Starting Strength program can help me achieve those numbers I'll be happy.

Week #1

Initial starting weights:

Squat - 115 lbs
    OHP - 80 lbs
    Bench - 110 lbs
    Deadlift - 185 lbs

Completed first session OK.

Added 10lbs to squat and deadlift for second session, took a single 5lb jump on OHP for third session.

Welcome. I wish you the best but why do you think you have a sugar problem. 126 is the number that indicates a problem not 118. You are quite slender. I think you should be consuming 4000 + calories and 200 grams of protein. Your running during LP will interfere with any strength gain. I strongly urge you to contact a certified SS coach. His/her oversight will keep you from make technical mistakes that could hurt you.

At 170 and 10% bf you are starting with a decent lean body mass (LBM). Look here to compare yourself to the genetic ceiling for your body particulars:

The WeighTrainer - Maximum Muscular Bodyweight and Measurements Calculator

With that decent start and the right training and diet you should see some pretty good strength gains. Look here to check out the genetic ceiling for strength you will probably be surprised:

YOUR Drug-Free Muscle and Strength Potential: Part 2 • Stronger by Science

At 10% bf you have plenty of wiggle room in your diet to get to the optimal strength training range of 15-20%, but at 39 you don't want to be totally reckless with what you eat. Check this out for some really good information:

To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

Welcome and good luck on your strength journey!

My PCP at the time warned me that a fasting blood sugar of 118 is dangerously close to the level of 120 which is considered prediabetic. He suggested I get start moving and modify my diet. That's what got me into running and Paleo. Despite losing a bunch of body fat my fasting blood sugars never did come down.

As for the running, yes, I agree. I've already cut the running down to just a single day a week. The other 6 days are for rest and strength.

I'll look into seeing what Starting Strength gyms are in my area. Thanks for the advice!!
    Last edited by John Mitchell; 12-21-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: correcting typographical mistakes

Linking in form check from end of week 1.

Squat Form Check

End of week #2.

So far lifts are moving up each session as the book indicates - 10# on the squat and deadlift, 5# on the presses.

Here are my lifts at the end of the 6th session

Squat - 165#
    Deadlift - 235#
    OHP - 90#
    Bench - 120#

Body Weight - 171#

At the suggestion of SSC Tom Campitelli I got a pair of weightlifting shoes and added them in this week. Prior to that was lifting in just my socks.

Really the only "issue" I'm having is consuming enough food.

wiiglec: I checked out the To Be A Beast article you recommended and it was very informative. It wouldn't seem that difficult to add in another 1000 calories but its proven to be a challenge as I'm just not hungry. Been going so long on three small meals a day that I feel uncomfortably full eating more. This will probably be my area of struggle and I know it will kick me in the butt if I don't get more food in me soon.

Nasty stomach bug and Christmas break caused me to miss a couple of gym sessions. Ended up losing weight because of the stomach issue and not eating and now down to 167#. Going to take it easy the rest of the week and pick up on 1/2/18.

Restarted on 1/1/18 after missing due to stomach bug and Christmas.

Initial body weight is 170#

Mon
    Squat: 3x5x115
    OHP: 3x5x75
    Deadlift: 1x5x185

Wed
    Squat: 3x5x125
    Bench: 3x5x110
    Deadlift: 1x5x195

Fri
    Squat: 3x5x135
    OHP: 3x5x80