starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better late...

Default Better late...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been lurking for a while and should've posted earlier, been at this for a couple of months now. So I guess it's a bit late for the before shots.

45 years old, male, 6 ft.

Start to current;
    (All weights in pounds)
    Bodyweight: 164 - 190
    Squat: 90 - 180
    Deadlift: 135 - 270
    Bench: 135 - 175
    Press: 45 - 75

Started artificially lower than actual ability as I was easing into it, due to prior injuries and age. And as I've moved along I'm even more being forced to admit that I'm not nearly as young as I used to be.
    I have the usual list of ailments, but my lower back and left shoulder have been the main culprits in hampering progress.
    Learning the low bar squat also slowed my start, and there's still a ways to go. The early main issue was actually getting the bar in the low position due to shoulder mobility, I've finally got it there but my grip is still very wide. There are, of course, form and technique issues and it's been slow going.
    I wasn't pressing at first because of my shoulders, that's why those numbers are a little behind compared to the others. And I have only just started trying to learn the power clean.

I am long-limbed and have always been lean. My bodyweight has always sat right around 180 lbs, I doubt it has moved 3lbs either way since my early 20's. Then I got really sick (anaplasmosis) from a tick about 18 months ago and lost weight, hence the lower starting weight mentioned above. Very happy to have finally regained that weight and exceeded my norm. At 164 I would've been happy with 180-185, but now I'm at 190 I'm thinking 220.
    Last edited by Russ Holmes; 01-01-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Fix typo

Squat: 180
    Bench: 165
    Pull-ups: 3x5

Missed a couple sessions over the holidays and was expecting a drop in squat, ended up doing same weight as last and it didn't feel that heavy, probably could've gone up.
    I have been wondering about squat recovery recently with 3x a week, weight has been going up but soreness not going away, mildly stiff/sore all the time. Have seen mentioned on the forums about "older" guys doing a light day or squatting 2x a week.
    My response to missing 2 sessions makes me think I should consider a light day on wednesdays?
    My bench, however, did drop 10lbs. My left shoulder is causing problems with my bench and pull-ups/chin-ups, but interestingly doesn't hurt at all with the press.

It's good to see young men like yourself getting into strength training.

And then there's someone like you Carson. I have noticed and admire you sir.
    Everything is relative, and yes relative to some, I am not old.
    I am that car that you do not want to buy. Exterior looks in decent shape, but the mileage is high and the suspension and rest of the running gear is pretty well worn.
    Having said that, my back is feeling better than it has in years, which is exactly why I am doing this.
    Last edited by Russ Holmes; 01-01-2018 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Trying to work out how to quote

Thank you for your kind words. We have a shirt that says "For back pain I take iron" in the middle of it there is an abstract drawing of a person doing the overhead press. I can do things now that I could not do when I was your age. Keep up the good work.

Squat 165
    Press 80
    Deadlift 275

Trying a light squat midweek, I guess I'll know more about how that's worked on Friday.
    It's funny that what is now light felt really heavy only a few weeks ago.

One of the best things I did early on was reduce frequency ie 2 days rest between training sessions.

It's funny that what is now light felt really heavy only a few weeks ago.
    Wait until it's an easy warm-up

It is just too damn cold to train tonight. I did try, I went out to the garage and did my 2 warm up squat sets but that was it.
    It's been stupid cold the last week and a half. I dunno why tonight was the night I bailed, but I did.

You do have a heater in your garage, right?

starting strength coach development program
    Yes, and it works fine when it's 20 outside, even getting down in the low teens. But not when it's below 0.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast