starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever belts - can they pop open?

Default Lever belts - can they pop open?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm thinking of getting a lever belt, but for whatever reason I've always wondered if say at the bottom of a squat or I guess at any time while it's on in the middle of a lift, if the lever could pop open? Obviously that would not be good, but are these levers built secure enough that you don't really need to worry?

They can pop open, also the lever can break. However, you can also fall down the stairs. If you close them right, nothing should happen. They just have that overlap where the belt closes, so they can be pretty uncomfortable.

Thanks. Was just curious, I guess with all the tons of people out there as well as top level lifters using lever belts, they should be safe. There just seems to be more moving pieces in a lever mechanism than what I think is a simple prong.

They have two moving parts. I've got a cheaper one. Have to admit though, it looks a bit sketchy. The SBD I had in my hands recently looked 10 times more trustworthy. But before i pay for one of those I'll get a prong belt to try around.

SBD is the one I had in mind, ok I actually ordered it

I'm sure it's a good purchase. Maybe you could share if and what you like or dislike, compared to a prong belt. I'm curious, as i don't want to buy another belt, just to end up buying a high end lever anyways.
    The disadvantage is the lack of flexibility. If you want to adjust it, you'll need a screwdriver. Anyways have fun with it!

A screwdriver to adjust the SBD belt you mean?

I'll report back with some feedback. I've been using my 10mm Inzer prong belt for years now, so moving to 13mm might be an adjustment, but I've heard and read great things about the comfort once it's broken in.

I have an Iron Tanks lever belt. It has clocked some serious kgs and never popped open. Needs a decent pull on the lever to snap open - the increased tension in the belt during a squat or deadlift is going to make it a little less likely to open judging from how it feels if I just do a big valsalva and yank on the lever.

Changing position on the fly does get a bit annoying when you're flip flopping between two buckle positions depending on how much you've eaten, or if you have different belt positions for squat and deadlift. But at least you don't need to use the squat rack as a leverage point to get a lever belt super tight.

No, my cheapo. SBDs don't need to be adjusted. Just can't spend that much atm. Want to change job and move in the next 2 months, so I really don't wan't to spend money for something I'm not 100% sure about. Especially over €200.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasterleavings View Post
    I have an Iron Tanks lever belt. It has clocked some serious kgs and never popped open. Needs a decent pull on the lever to snap open - the increased tension in the belt during a squat or deadlift is going to make it a little less likely to open judging from how it feels if I just do a big valsalva and yank on the lever.

Changing position on the fly does get a bit annoying when you're flip flopping between two buckle positions depending on how much you've eaten, or if you have different belt positions for squat and deadlift. But at least you don't need to use the squat rack as a leverage point to get a lever belt super tight.
    Sounds reassuring, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Bachmann View Post
    No, my cheapo. SBDs don't need to be adjusted. Just can't spend that much atm. Want to change job and move in the next 2 months, so I really don't wan't to spend money for something I'm not 100% sure about. Especially over €200.
    Ah yes, I might have misunderstood. I think that's one of the, if not, the biggest selling point of the SBD belt, a prong/level hybrid type system.

It was also quite steep for me to be honest; I asked family to pitch in and bought it for myself as a birthday gift.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast