starting strength gym

Thread: Seņor Dinosaurio - Evolution before Extinction

Default Seņor Dinosaurio - Evolution before Extinction

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The journey so far...

Male. 27. 5'7". Messed around in the gym during high school, college. Then took a physically demanding job and worried about "overtaxing" my back and incurring injuries, so I became a runner. My running friend joins the gym and I follow her, realizing how much I had come to dislike running. Looking for guidance, I stumbled upon Tnation and bought the 5/3/1 book. Ran that for maybe...six months?

5/3/1
    Pros, things I learned: barbell compound lifts > everything else, humility (i.e. I was trying to train with weight too heavy, i.e. I would never do a bench rep w/out at least a plate on each side), I could put in a solid day of training in under an hour AND that I did not need to lift 5-6 days a week, eat like a man, going all out on the last set of each day while trying to set a PR was fun

Cons, things I grew to dislike: not enough barbell, weight progressing too slowly (adding only 5 to 10 pounds every 3-4 week cycle), PR attempts began to feel sloppy

Enter Starting Strength. Bought the book. I just finished the chapter on squatting and am hoping to finish it by the end of the month.

Where things stand
    My weight weight over the last six months: 155-160 ---> 195-200 kgs (just kidding, lbs). waist circumference currently ~ 38 inches.
    Just finished my third training day of SS
    Deadlift: 255lbs
    Press: 100lbs
    Squat: 225lbs
    Bench: 185lbs
    Still learning power cleans

Some videos

Squat
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/pnnnT4jVKQ3zkMB62
    Press
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/1emSYKvZ4BvFDVQm1

Any feedback is appreciated!

p.s. I will be buying lifting shoes in the next few paychecks...until then, no shoes feels better than my knockoff Chucks

Today

Squats 3x5 @ 230
    Press 3x5 @ 105
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 260

Last rep of last press was a grind. Up to this point it has been my slowest-to-progress lift. I can't wait to be pressing a plate on each side like a king Kong.

Cut back on my warmups before squats per what I have been reading. Didn't do my ~30-50 bodyweight squats, just did reps of 3-5 with the bar and moving up in increments of 40 to 50. The muscles around my sacral area got extremely tight, felt like they were burning. Slowly resolved thru my work sets, but was uncomfortable and I wonder if there was a connection to less warmup, or what the trigger was.

Finished with a sauna, bye bye pain

Welcome.

Squat: None of them were to depth. You need to go down at least 3 more inches.
    I'm unclear on the 30-50 body weight squats. Don't do that. It's a waste of time and will probably hurt you knees since you are not squatting to depth.