starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and Squat on Same Day

Default Deadlift and Squat on Same Day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Mark,

What is your opinion on Deadlifting and Squatting heavy on the same day? I hear you should alternate between the lifts (ie - heavy squat one week, heavy squat the next), but the Bill Starr program has you squatting 3 times a week heavy, and doing deads in there. I feel great doing it, but what is the theory behind those who argue that deadlifting and squatting too much is detrimental? Is it because they are such exhaustive exercises on your CNS when performed at high-intensity?

Thanks

I suppose the argument against squatting and pulling on the same day is reflective of a lack of understanding about the mechanisms of adaptation. The ability to adapt is itself trainable; you can get used to pulling and squatting on the same day. There are lots of very strong European and American weightlifters that have adapted to heavy snatches and C&Js, squats and front squats, several times per week, and often on the same day, with up to 4 workouts per day being common. Maybe they just don't know about this.

But then again, those who argue against squatting and deadlifting on the same day may just be pussies.

I think this is one of the reasons Mark has you only do 1 set. Recovery.