starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a beginner

Default Advice for a beginner

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach Rippetoe.
    I'm new to strength training and have just started looking up your videos on youtube and your answers in this forum. They've been loads of help. In the last 2 weeks I've learned more about strength training than in the last three months. Thanks.

I have two questions - I'm sure I'd find the answer to them in your book, SS, but am having trouble getting my hands on a copy here in London.

1) I began on a 5x5 routine and have noticed your beginner routine is 3x5. Should I switch?

2) I bought some whey protein (but now realise it's more important for me to read up and practice correct form). When would you advise the best time to use it? I've been having it post-workout and once again in the evening. Is this ok?

Thanks in advance.

The book is available from us at aasgaardco.com, from http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/, and from amazon.com. We don't distribute to bookstores anywhere, so don't bother looking.

1.) I recommend 3 x 5 for novice trainees.

2.) Drink milk. Don't waste money on supplements unless there is a good reason to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The book is available from us at aasgaardco.com, from http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/, and from amazon.com. We don't distribute to bookstores anywhere, so don't bother looking.

1.) I recommend 3 x 5 for novice trainees.

2.) Drink milk. Don't waste money on supplements unless there is a good reason to do so.

Out of curiosity, why don't you distribute to bookstores? It would be nice to see a book in the weightlifting section that is about weights and not bodybuilding. Perhaps I answered my own question..

Thanks for the link and the advice.
    Take care and keep up the good work!

We don't distribute to bookstores because the major companies will not deal with us. This is because we are a small publisher with less than 10 titles. Not our fault. Despite the fact that BBT has been the #1 rated book for bodybuilding and weight training on Amazon several times within the past 3 months, B&N, BDalton, Waldenbooks, Borders, etc. will not carry our products.

Fuck 'em. Feed 'em fish heads. We'll just dance with the ones that brung us: you guys here on the web.

Clayhallak - I just ordered both SS:BBT and PPST off amazon.com (not uk) for ?30 total including shipping.

Also, can you recommend any good gyms to a fellow Londoner? I'm stuck with uni gym right now (it's crap), but once I graduate (I hope) and start working I'll be looking for a good gym (ie. NOT Virgin Active, Soho, or any other ?1500 per year gay social). Before term, when I had a job, I'd been going to Flaxman Sports Centre in Brixton, but my wife doesn't like me going into the ghetto after dark (somebody got shot in the lobby at Flaxman a few weeks ago).

-Andrew

I'm not familiar with the gym market in London, but look for a CrossFit affiliate there.

And somebody got shot in London? I thought guns were banned in the UK? Why, however would such a thing happen??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm not familiar with the gym market in London, but look for a CrossFit affiliate there.

And somebody got shot in London? I thought guns were banned in the UK? Why, however would such a thing happen??
    Coach you crack me up.

That's right along the lines of "What? A nutjob came onto a college campus and killed people? But it's illegal to carry guns onto a college campus..."

Guns are banned in Japan too, even police don't carry them. But still, people get shot sometimes. There was a pretty serious shooting last year close to where I live, and I do NOT live in Tokyo.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Drew, thanks for the tip re the books, I'll check it out. The other site had SS alone for ?30.

In London, I reckon the best gym is Muscle works. Google it and it should come up. They have a couple of branches, one in Bethnal Green, the other in Stoke Newington somewhere. Check it out. I don't go there - I train at home, but my mate says it's excellent and reasonably priced.

Mark: It's an unfortunate occurance that's happening more and more in London despite guns and knives being illegal. Gone are the good old days when arguments were settled with fists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast