starting strength gym

Thread: Fat to... Strong? (And maybe also fit...)

Default Fat to... Strong? (And maybe also fit...)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,
    I am a 30 year old fat guy (275#). I have yoyo’d in weight several times over the last several years in my attempts to get myself in better shape. I’ve tried body weight training, CrossFit style workouts, messing around with a barbell, all in varying combinations with various eating habits that I could never manage to sustain. I’ve been as low as about 205 and now I’m at my heaviest. Since my past efforts have come and gone with no lasting results, I’ve decided to change my strategy and just focus on getting strong and trying to eat whole, unprocessed foods, with fat loss occurring as a natural result of the two. I’m hoping that by not putting a “label” on it (i.e. being a “crossfitter” who eats “paleo”), I’m less likely to consider myself a failure and quit if I slip up. All that being said, I started the program on January 1st (typical, I know) but have managed to stick with it for the last 3 weeks and change. My starting weights were:
    Squat 135#
    OHP 45#
    Deadlift: 185#
    Bench 45#
    All of my weights were extremely conservative, as I’d rather start too low than too high (you have a lifetime to get strong, right?) I’ve been taking 10# jumps on squat and deadlift and 5# on bench and press. My questions are, when should I add in power cleans, and at what point should I change the 10# increases to 5#? I know the program says to do 10# until I fail, then bump down 5# next workout, but if sets start getting difficult, is there any harm in preemptively lowering the jumps? As for the power cleans, I know the book says “once the novelty of the deadlift has worn off and it is well established ahead of the squat”, but I had originally intended on deadlifting until I failed, then swapping in cleans at that point. For those who don’t feel like doing the math, my current lifts are:
    Squat 225#
    OHP 65#
    Deadlift 275# (bodyweight)
    Bench 65#

Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I understand that this program is not designed for rapid amounts of fat loss, but I think my strong-first strategy is pretty sound. If I’m out in left field, please let me know. Thanks.

So let me first say I'm not a coach or even all that experienced, I'm just another fat guy that likes to lift. The great thing about bigger guys is we have an advantage on moving heavier weights early during LP (at least in my experience).

You've made good progress on your squats/deadlifts, but I think you're doing a disservice by starting so low on your presses. I would try and add weight until the bar slows down. Have you read the book? If not immediately get it and read it. you'll find reading it a few times is necessary as you progress.

As far as cleans, I'll let someone else comment on those. As a bigger guy it may be beneficial to try and train chin ups per Nikki's articles before bringing in cleans.

Coaching is invaluable, even online (but live is better of course). Good Luck

Trevor, Welcome. If you live in the states it should be relatively easier to find a coach than if you don't. Depending upon where you live check out the coaching section to find a coach within a couple hundred miles and go see him or her. Don't settle for some "trainer" at some fru fru gym. Go see a certified Starting Strength coach. Get the books and devour them. Increase your presses especially bench a bit more. I think you are cheating yourself on those. If you can't get to a coach contact one for online coaching. I know nothing of the cleans.