starting strength gym

Thread: Women lifter for general fitness

Default Women lifter for general fitness

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark, Thank you ahead of time for taking time to answer my questions.

I have access to a gym twice a week. The rest of the time I do CF, and lots of KB work. I also have lots of odd objects at my house that I mix in. Kegs, Sandbags, wheelbarrows...you get the picture.
    I'm training for general fitness which is what I think makes my question different. I'm not trying to get huge, or peak for a competition. I just like being strong. I will be attending the CF games in Upstate NY but that's just for fun.

The four lifts I'm working on. Strict press, Deadlift, Back-squat and Front squat.
    I'm just out of Rehab from having my shoulder scoped in Nov. It's a old hockey injury that did not like Crossfit and just got really bad last Year. It's been a long haul.

Question:

With these four lifts how many should I work on in one session? should I be mixing the BS with the DL or does it matter?

How often should I go for Max lifts?

I would like to work on at lest two each session. I'm not well versed in weightlifting yet. I feel lost when trying to set up my sessions.
    It's been about two years since I started. I feel like I should keep changing what I'm doing. Since I'm of the mind set that I will get better results if I'm not doing the same things all the time.

I have great coaches around me who give me form feed back. Jerry Hill and Tom Brose.

As it stands right now.

Strict press 85#
    Deadlift 240#
    Backsquat 185#
    Front squat unknown right now.
    I'm 38 and about 137-140lbs.

I don't think you ever need to go for 1RM in training. At 2 days/week, you'll need to do a straight linear progression until that quits working, and not worry about max singles for quite a while. I also think that unless you are sure about the differences between the FS and the BS and can keep the two movement patterns separated, you might not need to front squat for a while either.

So I would have you do:

Day 1 -- Squat 3 sets of 5 after warmups, Press 3x5

Day 2 -- Squat 3x5, Deadlift one set of 5 after warmup

You don't change what you're doing unless and until it quits working, because if you do you're voluntarily stopping something that is making progress.

Ok, good stuff and simple.