starting strength gym

Thread: Will a Press 1.0 Pass at the SS Seminar?

Default Will a Press 1.0 Pass at the SS Seminar?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches,

I know that for certain anthropometries, a power snatch will be permitted to replace the power clean at SS seminars.

Similarly, will you pass a properly-performed Press 1.0 instead of a 2.0?

Background info:
    After the Fall Classic, I reevaluated my press and decided to default to a stricter version. I was double-bouncing the bar and decided to see if I was much weaker without initiating the movement with the hips. In 12 weeks, I surpassed my 2.0 5RM with the 1.0 press. This is probably not the norm, but perhaps reasonable for someone who wasn't getting as much benefit from 2.0.

I hope the 1.0 will pass, because I think I have what it takes to be a useful coach and don't want to be held back by this one criterion.

Thank you,

SSC candidates are evaluated on their ability to coach the lifts and not on the individual performance of the lifts. Good performance of the lifts usually comes along with being able to coach them, though.

Your partner on the platform (who may also be an SSC candidate) will teach you The Press as described in the book. If you're physically able to do the press correctly, your partner will appreciate you not fighting him on it.

Thanks, Nick. I can compromise and do 2.0 for the day to comply with the learning procedure - even if I prefer 1.0 in training.

Great to hear you're going for the certification! About time. Best of luck!

Thank you for the compliment, Chris - especially since I have been inactive with form checks for quite some time now.

Best,