starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift injury

Default Deadlift injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark, Hi all

I'm new to the forum and have been on SS for 4 weeks. Havn't done any serious training before.

A couple of days ago I began my first workset of deadlifts and felt a sharp pain between the upper medial border of the right scapula and the spine. The pain occured on the first rep just as the bar came off the floor.

Physiotherapist says I've sustained a costovertebral joint injury in said area. My neck is as stiff as a board and my head is permanently leaning to my right side. Just moving around is not easy.

Ever heard of this kind of injury occuring before in relation to the deadlift? Is there any obvious technique error that could cause this? Some people reccomend retracting the scapula but I don't see you mention this in SS.

My chest was up and my shoulders were in front of the bar with shins in contact.

Your commments would be much appreciated.

Sounds more like a C7 injury to me, as opposed to a rib-head dislocation. I've had some experience with these before, and you'll feel it all along your c-spine down to about T4-5 on one side. What did he do about it? Did he try to shove it back in or did he just do soft-tissue stuff?

I'd see a well-recommended chiropractor first when this happens again -- and it will, sorry. You may not have done anything wrong, but these things tend to recur once they happen.

Just soft tissue manipulation. Gave some mild and transient relief.

If it turns out to be a C7 injury, would you reccomend dropping the deadlift or carefully reintroducing?

I'm interested in your thoughts on retracting the scapula as I mentioned before.

I don't recommend scapular retraction because I don't believe it is a useful cue. The traps and rhomboids will hold the scapulae in place correctly without a conscious effort, because the traps and rhomboids are in isometric contraction through the pull. They don't work in a shortened position, they hold the scapulae in place in normal position relative to the spine. If you consciously pull your scaps back, the heavy weight is going to pull them forward anyway, and this motion will not be as helpful to you as perfectly set, still shoulders.

I've since come to the conclusion that I've probably strained some attachments to the superior angle of the scapula. Palpation of this point is sore, with no soreness when palpating the adjacent rib joint or t-spine, nor any pain in the c-spine.

ROM in neck is much better with the only restriction coming coming from pain in this scapula region. I've tried pressing and squats and they're fine.

I'm just not sure how to proceed with re-introducing the pulling excercises. Once again your thoughts would be much appreciated (in the full knowledge of the limitations of talking about this stuff over an internet forum).

If you're confident in your diagnosis, then I'd say the scapular retraction cue was probably the cause. Start back with the rehab program detailed in the sticky, using deadlifts for the exercise, and expect the improvement to happen in a shorter timeframe than a full-blown muscle belly tear. Be sure to just set your shoulders in normal position.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Mark. I'll start tomorrow.

And thank you for writing SS and PP. By far the best books on strength training I've read (and I've read a few).