starting strength gym

Thread: back too vertical in this squat pic?

Default back too vertical in this squat pic?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr. Rippetoe,
    Some people told me my back was too vertical and I was squatting too low. Is this true? Here's the pic:

Thanks for your time.

Your back will always be that vertical with the bar on your traps in the high-bar position. The back angle is determined by bar placement. Low-bar position produces more horizontal back angle, front squat, way more vertical, high-bar in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your back will always be that vertical with the bar on your traps in the high-bar position. The back angle is determined by bar placement. Low-bar position produces more horizontal back angle, front squat, way more vertical, high-bar in the middle.
    Yeah, I was re-reading the squat chapter in SS earlier today and Figure 2-17 finally sunk in. Once I saw where the bar should be in relation to the bones, I realized that what I thought was "low-bar" was actually really high. I squatted today with the bar in the recommended position (even had my father feel my back with the bar in place to be sure) and it fixed all my problems. Thanks.