starting strength gym

Thread: Body Position on Bench during Bench Press

Question Body Position on Bench during Bench Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

You have stated in your book and in videos that when lying on the bench your eyes should be on the foot side of the bar. Is there a mechanical reason behind this? The reason I ask is, by my dumb logic it seems like it would be beneficial to have your head farther up on the bench (farther from the foot end of the bench). Wouldn't this position eliminate lateral movement of the bar to get into starting position as well as cut down on the time the bar spends over such valuable real estate as the face and neck? Thanks for the valuable and frequently humerous responses to the questions on the board.

John

Yes it does, just as you state, but it also makes it quite likely that you will strike the uprights with the bar on the way back up. This is bad on a heavy work set. The recommended position gets you far enough away that you can safely pass the uprights, and not so far away that it tears your shoulders up getting it pou of the rack by yourself. You'll need a spot/handoff on your worksets if they are close to RM-intensity.

I've been training for most of my adult life(I'm 33 now), have just read SS and PP, and I'd never heard of that bench press tip about your position on the bench, and keeping your eyes focused on where the bar is at lockout, not following it down. I've tried it for 2 workouts now and it makes a world of difference in keeping the groove. My point is for anyone reading who has been lifting a while and thinks they know all they need to know about form and technique, I guarantee you will learn something that will help your form in SS.

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    My point is for anyone reading who has been lifting a while and thinks they know all they need to know about form and technique, I guarantee you will learn something that will help your form in SS.
    Great point JPC. I was surprised how much I learned in the Bench Press chapter, given that I have been doing the lift for 17 years.