starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting for teens, check out this article.

Default Lifting for teens, check out this article.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Check out this article and what it says about lifting hard if you are a teenager.

"Olympic, or power lifting, which people often think of when they think of weightlifting, concentrates on how much weight a person can lift at one time. This type of power lifting is not recommended for people in their early teens, particularly in middle school, because a person's body is developing fast during this time and this type of activity can lead to serious injuries of growing bones, muscles, and joints."

True?

Quite false. Note the glaring lack of substantiation.

I was at the gym the other day when this guy came up to make and asked "damn, you're doing squats AND bench press on the same day?"

He then confessed that he hasn't been "doing legs" since December, because his knees are all beat up. I told him that perhaps he can recheck his form, but he said that it's a result of injuries acquired during high school football and other sports. He mentioned that "I could squat 375 when I was a freshman, and I can still leg press a ton, but my joints are all fucked up."

I would say that it's shitty coaches and competitive sports that we should be concerned about when it comes to teen health.

captain,

That's one of the oldest myths in the book.

Get those kids under a bar early and often. Just don't have them perform 1 RM's and you're all good.

Don't see any injuries or problems with my boy. He is not yet 13. Been On SSBBT novice program for over 6 months. He squats his own body weight 3x5, 150 pounds. And has grown about 6 inches taller in the last few months. Says he enjoys feeling the increased strength while running or playing sport outdoors.