starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with machines... when and if all that is available

Default Training with machines... when and if all that is available

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Please do not accuse me of heresy.

However, I think this is a practical question....and it is not hypothetical (for me)

Lets say they are times and circumstances where you cannot access a SS gym or garage gym or you are in a hotel with a fitness center, or all sorts of similar scenarios preclucing barbell training. And no, you don't want to go to open gym at Crossfit or drive all over town for a squat rack. In fact, you may even belong to a Big Box gym too (you know to do treadmill,bike, row machine, sauna, or just girl watch) and theyhave lots of locations.

What you have access to, in the very short run, are machines etc, and a desire to somehow workout.

Are there any guidelines as to what machines to use and how to program the exercises to be somewhat useful? Anybody brave enough to help out an old geezer?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    Please do not accuse me of heresy.

However, I think this is a practical question....and it is not hypothetical (for me)

Lets say they are times and circumstances where you cannot access a SS gym or garage gym or you are in a hotel with a fitness center, or all sorts of similar scenarios preclucing barbell training. And no, you don't want to go to open gym at Crossfit or drive all over town for a squat rack. In fact, you may even belong to a Big Box gym too (you know to do treadmill,bike, row machine, sauna, or just girl watch) and theyhave lots of locations.

What you have access to, in the very short run, are machines etc, and a desire to somehow workout.

Are there any guidelines as to what machines to use and how to program the exercises to be somewhat useful? Anybody brave enough to help out an old geezer?
    For a single workout? If that's the question, I usually advise that all you're going to do is break a minor sweat and feel under-stimulated or (more likely) make yourself incredibly sore and ruin your vacation or business trip. You cannot train the barbell lifts by doing a workout or two on the machines in the hotel gym. If you're talking about a couple months, you can probably use them as intelligently as possible to stave off detraining to some degree. Which scenario are you curious about?

This was covered somewhat in a recent episode of the Barbell Logic podcast. It was discussed that “staying in the habit of training” (even if it’s exercising and not training) is better than discontinuing the habit of doing such.

I don’t think there is any reasonable way to “program”for machines since they are different and there are lots of variables. I’d do the best you can with what you have. That being said, what’s the beef with going to open gym at a Crossfit box? That’s your best, most available and most reliable bet with the most consistent equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    This was covered somewhat in a recent episode of the Barbell Logic podcast. It was discussed that “staying in the habit of training” (even if it’s exercising and not training) is better than discontinuing the habit of doing such.

I don’t think there is any reasonable way to “program”for machines since they are different and there are lots of variables. I’d do the best you can with what you have. That being said, what’s the beef with going to open gym at a Crossfit box? That’s your best, most available and most reliable bet with the most consistent equipment.
    IN one particular instance I am going for several weeks to a place that is in boonies. Nearest Xfit gym is about 25 miles....and in pretty substantial heat and humidity. They only have one day of open gym that lasts 2 hours and otherwise screwy hours. I am unlikely to drive 1.5 hours to do that.

To you Adam...I am talking about a local gym which is an alternative to SS gym....where I can "move around" some and not screw up my recovery until I can back to SS gym. I posted at least one additional scenario.

I am not trying to reproduce an SS workout. This may happen 2-3x /month.

the machines cannot be entirely worthless, just worthless compared to formal barbell.

Yes..if I get a bit sore, I will feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    To you Adam...I am talking about a local gym which is an alternative to SS gym....where I can "move around" some and not screw up my recovery until I can back to SS gym. I posted at least one additional scenario.

I am not trying to reproduce an SS workout. This may happen 2-3x /month.

the machines cannot be entirely worthless, just worthless compared to formal barbell.

Yes..if I get a bit sore, I will feel better
    Is it a sustained period where you're goin to be constrained to working out in the machine gym, or a handful of one-offs? Totally divergent answers.

Youre fine with training with machines now and again, Keith.

It all depends what your goals are: Are you a powerlifter? Just shooting for general strength and muscles?

Barbells often are more ergonomical, train some other qualities like balance and of course the specific strength patterns of the lifts you do. Of course that will set you back a little in the proficiency of the barbell lifts, but you will regain that quickly.

Regarding hypertrophy, which is the most general quality, you will have an equally good training anyway. Do the same progressive loading you would do with barbells, of course. Progressive overload is valid regardless what the resistance is. Try to choose multi-joint movements with a high degree of freedom and supplement with some core exercises, because often you wont need to stabilize your torso as vigorously with machines: isometic front holds (if you have a sandbag for example - then again, you can also try to front squat with it; you can even do that in most "standing calf machines") and weighted planks for example. Just stay away from the body rotation ab-machine - your spine will thank you.

Yeah just have a few too many Margheritas then blast through some beach work and do some conditioning on the fancy machines. It's not like there aren't a tonne of people who didn't get strong using machines.

But honestly driving 25 miles is not that far at all. You have to actually put in effort sometimes.

You could use plate loaded machines, pretty easy to figure out how to add weight to those in smaller increments. Also, use a basic double progression model, it's as basic as it gets. Lastly, machines are superior to barbells for pure hypertrophy, no need to even argue this point. Also, you will get very sore, consider just doing a basic body part split.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Youre fine with training with machines now and again, Keith.

It all depends what your goals are: Are you a powerlifter? Just shooting for general strength and muscles?

Barbells often are more ergonomical, train some other qualities like balance and of course the specific strength patterns of the lifts you do. Of course that will set you back a little in the proficiency of the barbell lifts, but you will regain that quickly.

Regarding hypertrophy, which is the most general quality, you will have an equally good training anyway. Do the same progressive loading you would do with barbells, of course. Progressive overload is valid regardless what the resistance is. Try to choose multi-joint movements with a high degree of freedom and supplement with some core exercises, because often you wont need to stabilize your torso as vigorously with machines: isometic front holds (if you have a sandbag for example - then again, you can also try to front squat with it; you can even do that in most "standing calf machines") and weighted planks for example. Just stay away from the body rotation ab-machine - your spine will thank you.
    Hi Marenghi

thanks for your response......as this apparently is not the place to question a machine based workout in ANY circumstance.....lest you wish to be harrassed or ignored.

I will not assume that machines are worthless although I agree that barbell training is superior. My question is what type of machines and what kind of programming maps to workouts between SS training workouts. I am just not going to get any one to step out of line in the SS coaching crew or anyone else on the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast