starting strength gym

Thread: Help - solution to a lopsided bench press

Default Help - solution to a lopsided bench press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    When reaching the limit on a bench press (after reps only, not singles), the bar seems to be moving towards the right such that the left side plates sometimes hit the upright. This tends to happen more with a closer grip than a wider grip. I used to bench with a pinkies on the ring grip (I'm 5'-7" with a deep ribcage and shorter upper arms than lower). Upon failure the bar would hang too far forward and I would have difficulty flaring and bringing it back over the shoulders.

At an Ed Coan seminar in November, Ed suggested I move my grip in a bit and touch a bit closer to the shoulders and the new grip feels much more natural for me with the exception of the off side movement. I am currently working the bench back up to accommodate to the new grip and bench and press twice a week for 3 5's with a third light bench day on Friday after squat and deadlift.

My physical upper body history is as follows:

1. I have approximately 3 degrees of scoliosis confirmed by x-ray.
    2. I dislocated the left shoulder doing pullovers early in my lifting days (1980).
    3. My right tricep can handle approximately 25% fewer reps than my right as confirmed with dumbbell tricep work.
    4. My acromions seem to be forward facing.

Can this be due to the scoliosis or is this just something I need to train out of by stopping reps that begin to move sideways?

I think it depends on how bad the shift is. An occasional little shift here and there is just the imperfection inherent in being human, once the weight has reached a certain level of difficulty. A bigger shift, more frequently is an issue. If it's the former, and you're hitting the uprights because you're really close to them or the bench is designed such that there's a very small margin of error before you hit them (like the rogue monster series which are so thick that you might hit the uprights with a small shift), I think you just focus hard on the issue, try to correct it within the normal course of training, but generally carry on.

If it's more the latter, then might be more of an issue. You say you're "working the bench back up" - so do I infer correctly that this means the issue is happening even though you're still at relatively lighter weights in the lift than your heavy recent working weights?

Since lightening up, I have been experimenting with bench press positioning and may have found the ticket. I widened the grip a bit (outstretched thumbs 3/8" from the knurl) and paid close attention to setting the scapulae just before lowering the bar. I use a fairly deep arch with the bar at the high point and the upper arms between 70-80 degrees. I have a deep ribcage with short upper arms and long forearms.

I also adjusted my press grip to the same width and that also felt more comfortable. My shoulders feel much better with the newer positioning. My upper body programming is as follows (sets x reps):

Sunday, Wednesday
    Bench press - 3 x 5; then 2 x 3 pause (30 lbs less) alt with 2 x 3 slingshot (30 lbs more)
    Press - 3 x 5
    Tricep extension variation
    Row variation

Friday
    Bench press - 3 x 5 @ 80% of Wednesday after Lower body work