starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kat's Novice Log-7 weeks in

Default Kat's Novice Log-7 weeks in

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat - 259x5x3 - This shit is starting to feel heavy which makes me feel really weak. I didn't have a problem making reps today. For reference I started at 150.
    Bench - 160x5x3 - I had a bit of a shoulder and elbow issue a few weeks ago and I was recommended to restart the program for my bench.
    DL - 225x5 - I have instituted a light day as of this session because I don't really want to teach myself the clean so I'm waiting until I get together with a coach someday to see about starting in on it. Its a 70% deload for what its worth.
    Chins - 9x6x4 reps. I actually lost one on my first set seeing as I did 10 Saturday. Not sure what's up there.

Obviously this is all in lbs.

Do you have a certified Starting Strength coach within 150 miles. If so, go see him or her. I find that working with a certified SS coach has helped me a great deal.

There are actually quite a few coaches in my area. I'm surprised because I don't think there are any SS gyms here.

This is for March 7, 2018 because I got busy last night
    Weight: 184

Squat 262x5x3. Today actually felt pretty light after I got up to my working weight, but warming up was rough. Also I had pretty aggressive tightness in my arms when getting into position while warming up.
    OH 120x5x3. This wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be today. Went pretty quick
    DL 315x5. I started standing up between each rep and taking my breath and bracing my stomach before bending over. It feels much stronger and secure in my back this way. I thought I was going to miss reps 4 and 5, but they came up. Definitely almost dropped the first rep using hook grip. For what its worth this was a 1RM back in HS 6 years ago so yay!!!
    Dips BWx10x10x15. First time trying these out. I'll try to work up to 15x15x15 then start loading it for sets of 5.

What is your weight, height, and age?

Weight 182 as of this morning
    Height 5'7

I'll start out saying.... Today was rough.
    I don't know exactly what aggravated it, but I have an old wrist injury that flared up today when I woke up and it made everything today except DL feel like dirt. Its unfortunate because since I started the program I had completely forgotten it. Before SS it would flare every month or so just to remind me that I hadn't escaped it. If I had to guess I probably slept on it weird, but nothing I did yesterday would have caused it, which is pretty typical actually. I normally wake up and it hurts. Imagine holding your hand out so the wrist is flat with fingers together and extended. If I put my other hand on against my fingers and try to push my hand so it rotates forward at the wrist I have sharp pain in my wrist and that shoots up my arm while under "load".

Additionally as of this workout I've done 4 sessions in one week. Long story short I had to take my last 72 hour from Wednesday to Saturday because of a shitty storm that closed the gym. So I decided to get back on track that I would be better off just gritting my teeth through 4 sessions of 48 hour recovery periods. Needless to say I was feeling pretty behind the power curve just getting under the bar today. Despite all this I did manage to complete all lifts!!

Weight: 182

Squat 265x5x3 Of all the lifts today this one felt the hardest. Because of the wrist my hands were slightly out of my normal position and I just didn't feel as tight in my torso and lats and upper back or at the bottom of the lift. That might have had something to do with the 4 sessions this week as well, but I wasn't feeling that drained.
    BP 165x5x3 Honestly I don't know if it was this lift or the shitty wrist, but my elbow on the "injured" side is hurting like a mother during and after this one.
    DL 225x5 70% light day today. Obviously came up pretty easy and it didn't even hurt my wrist.
    Chins 9x6x4 Thankfully I didn't lose any reps today like the last time I did these. I don't know if this made my wrist/elbow feel any worse, but it wasn't painful like I was expecting it to be.

Here's to Monday and being fully recovered and having a wrist that doesn't make me bitch like a man-child.

Followup to yesterday for the wrist. While there is still a bit of ache and pain in certain positions and under some "load", the "load" tolerance is higher and I can do pretty much everything like normal. Other than some extra/unusual soreness in the forearms its seems like I'm on the way to Monday being a good day.

I have to say I'm rather surprised by how not sore I am from the lifts the day following a workout. Used to take me a decent amount of warming up to feel loose enough to do anything resembling a weighted squat now I just get in and get going with a more reasonable warmup. I think this training/stress recovery adaptation is one of the more interesting and useful effects from the program and I can't wait to run through the novice progression so I can start strength training with more sport specific goals in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CarteringKat View Post
    Followup to yesterday for the wrist. While there is still a bit of ache and pain in certain positions and under some "load", the "load" tolerance is higher and I can do pretty much everything like normal. Other than some extra/unusual soreness in the forearms its seems like I'm on the way to Monday being a good day.

I have to say I'm rather surprised by how not sore I am from the lifts the day following a workout. Used to take me a decent amount of warming up to feel loose enough to do anything resembling a weighted squat now I just get in and get going with a more reasonable warmup. I think this training/stress recovery adaptation is one of the more interesting and useful effects from the program and I can't wait to run through the novice progression so I can start strength training with more sport specific goals in mind.
    Having spent some time thinking this weekend it actually seems to me that the soreness has less to do with recovery adaptation and more to do with relative stress. Starting out with a 155 squat, a 10lb jump is relatively much more stressful than a 3lb jump at 262 plus there was volume I wasn't accustomed to just in the form of doing the workouts. More specifically a 6.45% vs 1.14% increase in load. As long as volume stays the same it makes sense to me why there wouldn't be any soreness when load increase is so low compared to the working weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Wrist twanged a few times today during the session, but it was fine other than that. Pretty much back to normal.

Weight: 184

Squat: 268x5x3 Today felt heavy. There's no way around that. I was also tired. Mentally and physically drained for some reason by the time I got to my session so it took some extra internal mental pep talk to get myself under the bar. I don't feel as if I'm grinding as much anymore which is strange. Maybe I'm just used to it.
    OH: 122.5x5x3 This felt pretty good. I'm excited to keep progressing on it.
    DL: 320x5 The warmups felt heavy but I was overhanding them. I tried a hook today for the first set at working weight and I couldn't even get it off the ground. Immediately switched to alternate grip and it flew.
    Chins: 10x15x14. I just couldn't get the 15th today. I don't know what happened here, but I'm going to try again Friday. I'll keep trying until I get it, but once I do I will start adding one rep at a time to the first set until they're even. I decided I was going to go for sets of 20 instead of 15 before loading this movement. I think it will save my shoulders undue trauma long term and after all the long term is why I'm here.
    I have taken to doing DL's more as sets of one because when I'm in position I have a hard time taking a big breath and bracing especially toward the end of the set. The protocol is basically
    1. Do rep
    2. Stand up, breath a few times
    3. Take big breath, brace, bend over
    4. Pick up weight
    5. Repeat

This helped immediately with a mid-back issue I was having on my right side. I don't know exactly but I think it was improper bracing in the bottom was causing a strain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast