starting strength gym

Thread: Help getting a barbell into a commercial gym

Unhappy Help getting a barbell into a commercial gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,

I'm in a crappy situation since the only local powerlifting gym is closing down.
    I've looked into the nearby commercial gyms and there is one place that at least allows deadlifting and using chalk.

My request for you would be to help me come up with arguments why I should be allowed to store and use my own Power Bar at the gym, since they got only poor quality bars.

Thus far I've come up with:
    Offering to pay a little extra (either once or monthly)
    Using my own bars saves their bars form the abuse of heavier training (I'm not really that strong, but could kinda pull it off, I think, lol)

Can you come up with anything else?

Thanks alot!

Leaving your DNA on your bar, as opposed to their bar (whether or not you actually scrape your shins or not, just tell them).

Same thing with chalk, even though they allow it, "messy" chalk on your bar, not theirs. idk.

Uhhh, I got nothing else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Good luck, and I don't see why it would be a problem.

Only thing is, where to store it/lock it up at their facility, so it doesn't get used for rack pulls,
    or some person is in the middle of benching with it when you show up to lift.
    (and you actually have to wait to use your own bar, sad).

The gym owner may not want to responsible for your bar in their gym.
    Damage/theft. You may have to sign, or offer up a waiver or some sort.

I might have to go this route at my current gym.

Did you try just asking them?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Did you try just asking them?
    He is obviously preparing for that.

A bar is a bar, I don't get it. Just use whatever bar is lying around the gym.

Don't do it. Prepare for mockery to your face and behind your back. This is the sort of spergy shit is the thing that gives SS a bad reputation, tell them you are doing Stronglifts.

Thanks Fulcrum, suggesting the waiver is a good one.

Satch, I already asked that as part of several questions in email. The initial answer was no and I am preparing to try to negotiate the matter.

Frankie, I am not doing Starting Strength, I have no intention of mentioning it. I'm just happen to be preparing for the Finnish Nationals for powerlifting and it would be nice to be able to use a good bar.

Do you care if others use it? If you are willing to not take up space with equipment that is only reserved for you - he might be more willing to let you use it. I keep a bar at my gym, there are 2 others that do the same, but we just keep ours in the rack with the other bars and anyone is free to use them. Mine is a west side bar, another guy has an Ohio Power Bar, and the third is a safety squat bar. Everyone wins.

Or - find another gym that might be more open to this, if you can't find one that has decent barbells.

Just take it with you each time. I've taken light bumper plates to and from the gym several times.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Having others use the bar might be a viable option. Given the gyms demographics I doubt there would be any abuse done to it.

Unfortunately hauling the bar with me is not an option right now, since I don't own an automobile, ha.