starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OHP

Default OHP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I struggle with the ohp and the technique. My left side is weak so I compensate by arching my lumbar area and grinding it out. I experience lumbar pain afterwards. I have a belt I just bought but this will add support yet do nothing for my poor form or lack of it. I am thinking I need to dload and practice form. Any comments or suggestions. 62 bw140 55 bench 113dl 44ohp

Sorry forgot to add 5 weeks nlp

You and me both. Besides the first 3 questions and sidestepping technique issues. Are you micro loading ? Small plates at 0.25 Kg which you will need. If you are feeling your back is a bit worn out then you can do seated dumbbell shoulder press/lift to give it a break.

Technique is critical, getting the synchronous hip Spring push. The breathing has to be really tight-don't breath in your chest, but into your stomach (if that makes sense). Push down towards the hips. Make sure your grip is the same as your shoulder width to get the forearms perpendicular under the bar. Take plenty of rest between sets 8 maybe 10 minutes. Take an energy sports drink. Eat a carbohydrate rich meal (porridge) an hour or so before you start lifting.

I'm at 86lbs and grinding - had to do 5 sets of 3 just to get the volume in on Monday so I know how you feel. If you are doing everything right (the 3 questions) then you might also need a de load of 10% and try again by micro loading after that. See if you can break the barrier. The rule is to deload twice and then move on to intermediate.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhunts View Post
    I struggle with the ohp and the technique. My left side is weak so I compensate by arching my lumbar area and grinding it out. I experience lumbar pain afterwards. I have a belt I just bought but this will add support yet do nothing for my poor form or lack of it.
    I would suggest getting your form checked by a SSC if possible. So many things can be fixed with a in person coaching session. If there is not one close by, you could post a form check in the SS Coaches thread and see what they have to say.

The OHP is a nasty little exercise that challenges all. Form is paramount. We all start out much stronger on our dominant side, but with proper form the off side should catch up. Both sides must be made to move the bar evenly without resorting to poor form. With an OHP of 44# not going up straight, I think you need to do some accessory work to strengthen the shoulder girdle and triceps. Close grip and incline bench will aid your pressing, but with such profound weakness, I would do seated dumbbell presses. In fact, that is what I did for a while before switching to a barbell. I was doing 25# each side for equal numbers of reps before I started trying to do Press 1.0. I am teaching myself press 2.0 now with a back off to 65#. If you belong to a gym with lighter weight bars, that would help too. -- not SSC

The OHP is my nemesis. The first lift I failed. But I was following the StrongLifts program. My wife recommended I read Rippetoe. I watched a video of SS's version of OHP. That first move with the hip. Basically, I can't wait till my next OHP day (next Monday). In fact, today, not an OHP day, but when my wife was doing her OHPs, I had to grab the bar and try the SS version of OHP. I really think I'll finally be able to get past my plateau of 40kg finally.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhunts View Post
    I struggle with the ohp
    Don't we bloody all...
    I have no miraculous insight to offer, apart from the feeling that the best way to improve your Press is to press a lot, press often, and press rapidly (meaning, trying to wilfully move the bar as fast as possible).
    On top of this, IMHO, I would say that if your movement is not symmetric, you should go back to a weight that allows you to perform the movement correctly, and build up from there.
    Microloading might be useful, although with a 44 OHP this might mean going down to a few ounces of increment, if you can find weights that small.

Ultimately, it's a lift that moves very slowly; you just got to stick with it.

IPB

An interesting observation from this thread. I am no great shakes in the OHP, but never had an issue with a left/right lockout. A few months ago, I started doing dumbbell push presses and discovered I have a pronounced asymmetry between my left and right side, with my dominant right side being weaker. It could be the result of 3 broken right arms between ages 5 and 10 and a right shoulder dislocation at age 19. A relocation that was done old school on the Judo mat without benefit of a physician. Hurt worse getting put back in than going out.

All that said, I never detected the weakness and instability until recently.

Just a thought, try this rehab:
    Shoulder Rehab | Mark Rippetoe

It has built in range of motion work, and I did it instead of my press (and bench) for a while.
    It gets you used to loading your shoulder more evenly, and allows you to gradually increase range of motion / strength.

Since I have the hanging straps on hand in my home gym, I never hesitate to do this for any shoulder related tweak. It works for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Do an NLP cycle with dumbbells. Then switch to barbells later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast