starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: wierd music warp while deadliftling

Default wierd music warp while deadliftling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    crazy thing I noticed the other day; I had my headphones on while deadlifting and as I was pulling I noticed the music "warped". Like you would expect from slowing down a record. Anybody else experience this? I think I'll stop listening to music when deadlifting

Yup, congrats... that's the beginning edge of a blackout.

Your adrenaline is changing the way you perceive time to give you (and your body) time/ability to react in a crisis situation. More likely it's just your blood pressure rising as you lift (esp using Valsalva which I'm sure you're doing) and your perception of pitch is changed to where you think it's lower. Your brain perceives this further as something slowing down because of the lower pitch.

yeah the pitch is lower and its only on heavy lifts. And I do feel dizzy afterwards. I'm not sure about the adrenaline comment. Im holding my breath yes but not doing the valsalva tech. since it would require a hand to pinch the nose

Quote Originally Posted by wizzel View Post
    yeah the pitch is lower and its only on heavy lifts. And I do feel dizzy afterwards. I'm not sure about the adrenaline comment. Im holding my breath yes but not doing the valsalva tech. since it would require a hand to pinch the nose
    Well I meant to put "possibly" your adrenaline and it was just speculation. It's a little annoying we can't edit our posts.

I'm sure it's your blood pressure, and if you're feeling dizzy afterwards (as I have after certain squats) I'd be careful. I'm not one of the more experienced guys on here so I can't advise you further.

If you train hard enough you might even see the White Buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    If you train hard enough you might even see the White Buffalo.
    Now that would be worth it.

I discovered that the sustained effort of a 'harder than I have ever pulled before' deadlift is frequently out of normal time perception. It's as if I've gone somewhere else as a protection from the effort. It's a spiritual experience that can't be achieved with a half hearted approach. It's all or nothing. Very floaty. Never listened to music, but I can imagine the perception would be affected-after all, that's what happens when you do illegal herbs.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't listen to music any more when I lift, I gradually found it more distracting than motivating or inspiring. But when I did, this would happen to me in the last few reps of squats or deadlifts. Especially when my breathing got labored and I was trying to valsalva.

IMO, it's a buildup of intercranial pressure in the sinuses and ears. The latter especially causing the distortion in hearing. Just now I am still hawking up lung particles from a case of flu/bronchitis/pneumonia(?) and I have a bass buzz backbeat when listening to speech on the radio. Not with music and not when talking to people. Odd, but I think my ears and sinuses are still massively congested and the cause.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast